Friday, July 29, 2011

Spicy Pasta Salad



Posted by: Maggie

Holy cow. This might be my favorite pasta salad ever. The Pioneer Woman posted it a little over a month ago, and I have been thinking about it with an alarming frequency ever since. You see, I love chipotles in adobo - the starring ingredient in this recipe. I would take a bath in that stuff if it wouldn't burn, and if I wouldn't smell kind of odd. There are soooo many recipes that can be improved by adding their smoky goodness, particularly pasta salad.

I made this a few hours ago, and just had a bowl of it for dinner. I wanted to wait until tomorrow to really let the flavors get to know each other, but my desire for instant gratification kicked in and I could no longer wait. Even after only a few hours in the fridge it is fantastic, and I can't wait to have it for breakfast tomorrow. Yeah, you read that right. Breakfast.

I have a really high tolerance for spice, and added about 5 times the amount of adobo sauce that PW called for, and then minced up one of the peppers too and threw it in there. I think it tastes great, but if you aren't a huge fan of spice work your way up to that amount.

Have a great weekend everyone! I have a friend's baby shower tomorrow afternoon, and Jeff and I are going to see Horrible Bosses tomorrow night. Anyone out there watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? Jeff and I are huge fans of that show, and I'm excited to see Charlie Day playing a different role in Horrible Bosses. Although, from the trailer it looks like he might just be playing the same lovable idiot we know from Sunny. It you don't watch this show, and are a fan of dark satire and ridiculous humor, I implore you to check out the clip below, laugh, and Netflix the entire series immediately. The clip below isn't too bad, but if you have kids in the room you might want to shoo them away, lest they learn some salty language and questionable behavior.



And with that, on to the recipe!

12 ounces penne pasta
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup whole milk (I'm sure you could use low-fat or skim here - I just had whole leftover from making ice cream, and since it was what PW called for I went ahead and used it.)
4 tablespoons white vinegar
4 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
1 minced chipotle from a can of chipotles in adobo
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste
1 container grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
8 ounces smoked gouda cheese, cut into small cubes
24 whole basil leaves, chiffonade

Cook your pasta according to the package directions. Drain, rinse until cool, and set aside.

In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, adobo sauce, salt, and pepper. In a large bowl, stir together the pasta, tomatoes, minced chipotle, and gouda. Toss with the dressing, adjust seasonings as needed, and stir in basil.

Chill before serving if you have enough self control to not dig in right away!

Printer-friendly

Source: The Pioneer Woman

5 comments:

  1. I think more folks who like a little kick should use chipotles in adobo. It's one of those ingredients I used to pass by a lot until a recipe I found called for them. Now it's a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrible bosses sounds like a funny movie Enjoy! The pasta is going to be even better tomorrow. Enjoy!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found your blog! love this pasta recipe, yumm!
    xo,
    minibaker

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH My this does sound spicy! I am going to try this! My boyfriend makes fun of me and says "if I could put chili flakes in my cereal I would!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look fantastic. I will definitely try this one out. Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful Southern treat today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio