Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bread Pudding


Posted by: Annie

This week is my last week of freedom. This Monday, school is no longer out for summer, and my days of lounging at the beach and playing at the pool are coming to an abrupt end. However, the dorky student I was in high school has translated to me being a dorky high school teacher and I am a teeny bit excited about my new teaching supplies and the general idea of a fresh start to a new school year.

Today I had a whole list of errands to run and supplies to purchase to prep for next week, and I realized that I should really enjoy the free time I have left before my evenings are filled with grading papers, writing lesson plans and going to bed at absurdly early times. So at 11 am this morning, I found myself salvaging a two-day old french baguette and making my first bread pudding. This bread pudding would be delicious served after dinner warm with ice cream or even as a breakfast dish. OR, if you are anything like me it tastes delicious standing up over the sink, because we all know that when you eat desserts standing up, they do not count. :)

What you will need:

1 stale french baguette
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups skim milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice baguette into half-inch slices and then rip each slice into smaller pieces. Arrange the bread in the bottom of an 8-inch casserole dish and drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle raisins on top if desired. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread and using a fork push push down the bread to ensure that the bread soaks up all of the mixture. Bake for 45 minutes until the bread is springy to the touch.

Slightly adapted from: All Recipes

4 comments:

  1. I love school supplies and an empty calendar just waiting to be filled.
    Bread pudding looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had my first bread pudding ever at Nordstroms cafe I FREAKING loved it!! I cannot wait to try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to try to make bread pudding. In my opinion bread pudding looks so comforting. I actually have never tasted it. Perhaps I will try yours. Good luck with the first day of the new school year, that is something I definitely miss: the fresh start of a school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently decided I liked bread pudding after vacationing in Orlando and eating at Ohana's. Your recipe looks delicious! Come visit us today. We have a wonderful low fat pimento cheese recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio