Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins



Posted by: Maggie

These ugly muffins aren't going to win any beauty pageants.

They're kind of flat. They're brown and bumpy. They're not covered in colorful frosting and pretty sprinkles like their more attractive cousin, the cupcake.

But...they're damn good. They don't need to be pretty because they have personality. They're super moist, with banana flavored batter and chunks of banana and loads of delicious chocolate chips. I shoved two of them in my mouth this morning, and promptly put the rest in the freezer because I really don't want to be forklifted from my apartment someday as a result of eating too many baked goods.

Make these the next time you have a couple overripe bananas sitting around. Your home will smell heavenly and if you live in an apartment building like me your neighbors will be jealous. I get some kind of perverse satisfaction out of making my neighbors jealous with delicious food smells. They probably don't even notice, but I like to pretend they do.

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 overripe bananas
1/2 cup light brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used half milk chocolate and half semi-sweet)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, roughly mash one of the bananas so that it's still slightly chunky and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar and the other banana on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the melted butter, egg, and vanilla, and mix well. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, mixing only until just combined. Fold in the mashed up banana and chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, and give the pan a good thwack on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in muffin tin for 3 minutes, and then turn out on a wire rack to cool completely.

Printer-friendly
Source: adapted from Tyler Florence via Food Network

13 comments:

  1. Never mind.
    There is no need for sprinkles and colourful frostig!
    I love the banana chocolate mixture and I'm definitely going to try them!

    Lovely greetings from Germany!
    Chloé

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a good banana muffin recipe for an absolute age now. Think I might just have found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, these muffins look so delicious! I haven't made many banana muffins in my life but these I've got to try. Thanks for sharing. You girls have a beautiful blog and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the perfect recipe for the two flavors I love. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate with bananas - Yum, in a muffin - Yum Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this blog and its writing, it wasn't the same dry-boring writing most recipe blogs have. On top of it all it looks delicious I can almost taste it.
    -Ellen

    http://thefreshman15byflem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Banana choco chip is heaven and joy all in one bite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just made these and they are super yummy!! Thanks for the great recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete

  9. what is the difference bet. this recipe/version and the buttermilk version? I am wondering which to make, as I can add choc. chips to the buttermilk version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - these are my favorite of the two. The buttermilk version is really nice to have if you're looking to use up old bananas and buttermilk at the same time, but these win on taste.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I made these and did a post about them. They were simply delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio