Thursday, September 29, 2011

Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad

Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad


Posted by: Annie

I am probably the last person on Earth to discover Greek yogurt, but boy did I discover it!

I cannot stop eating it, and am so pleased that my latest food obsession is significantly more nutritious than my last food obsession (Nutella on toast every morning of the summer, anyone?)

I am particularly obsessed with Fage Greek yogurt, and have chased this brand all over NJ. I am a tad bit food store loyal to Wegmans, and when I say a tad bit loyal, I mean I worked at the store for almost six years and used to drive thirty plus minutes to shop there when I lived in Philly. Now that I am back in NJ, I live a mere five minutes from the nearest Wegmans, but have been grossly disappointed with their Fage stock. They are out every single time I'm there. This has forced me to go to their "nameless competitor" - that is how desperate I am to get my hands on Fage.

So, last Wednesday I went off to the "nameless competitor." I rushed inside and grabbed eight, yes eight, containers of my prized yogurt, checked out, ran out to my car, and it wouldn't start. Battery = dead. Sad story, but I moved on because let's get real - nothing could ruin my day, I had Greek yogurt goodness.

Monday of this week, I went to Wegmans to give them another chance at fulfilling my Greek yogurt needs. Well, before I even went in my car battery died, AGAIN. Long story short, I didn't get yogurt, but I did get a new car battery. Today I had a successful trip to the store for Fage, sans dead car battery, and made a delicious chicken salad with a yogurt-based dressing. Enjoy fellow Greek yogurt lovers!

What you will need:

For the salad:

2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts (mine weighed a total of 1 pound,) chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup diced onions and diced celery (mixed)

For the dressing:

8 ounces plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 squeeze lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, mix chicken, cranberries, almonds, celery, and onion. In a separate small dish, prepare dressing by mixing yogurt, curry powder, soy sauce, lemon juice, and salt and pepper together. Combine dressing with the salad ingredients and mix well. Serve on your favorite bread, or on top of fresh greens!

Printer-friendly
Adapted from: Iowa Girl Eats

13 comments:

  1. This salad sounds amazing! I have a greek yoghurt obsession too and I love the idea of adding the almonds and cranberries too, can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the perfect light & delicious lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats lloks and sounds amazing, I love Greek Yogury, I have to say 'Total' is my favourite brand its really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I love Greek yoghurt, it's so good for just about everything. Your salad sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greek yogurt is the most wonderful thing ever. This salad looks so yummy. Cannot wait to try it out. Come over and visit. We have the most amazing apple cake recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss living near a Wegmans! I too have an addiction to nutella, but greek yogurt is quite delicious... and much more friendly to the waist line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm amazed at the speed at which Greek style yogurt has taken the market on strong! We've enjoyed it for a long time! Great recipe - again, always a fan of dried cranberries with chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, looks delicious! Fage is my favorite too - I get mine at Costco :) We're actually getting a Wegman's soon in MA and I'm looking forward to checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I absolutely detest mayo, which pretty much means that I never eat chicken salad, tuna salad, some pasta salads etc. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you should add grapes too the soft texture will complement it well

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this chicken salad and figured it to have about 120 cal per half cup. :) Woot!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds awesome! I love the idea of pairing soy sauce with Greek yogurt in the sauce. I made a chicken salad with Greek yogurt and lemon juice, dried cranberries and cherries, red grapes and walnuts. It was good but I think I need to try yours; sounds much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! Just made it and it was great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio