Monday, September 19, 2011

Peanut Butter Blossoms

Posted by: Annie

These cookies almost didn't happen. Almost two weeks ago, I purchased a giant wholesale sized bag of Hershey Kisses from Costco with the intent of being a nice teacher and having candy in my classroom. Well, this bag never made it to school. It started in my room, and then Scott and I would put it on the coffee table to munch on while we were watching television. And then, you know, a handful would be thrown into my purse, and before I knew it, the bag was dwindling in size and I was falling into a Hershey Kiss induced coma.

I decided I needed to do something "productive" with my giant bag of Hershey Kisses, and peanut butter blossoms immediately came to mind. So, to any readers out there considering making these cookies, my advice would be to buy a normal-sized bag of Hershey Kisses, or else accept that you will be finding little silver wrappers in your car, purse, and bed (ahem), for weeks to come.

Here's what you'll need:

48 Hershey Kisses
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar for rolling

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Unwrap your Hershey Kisses.

In a large mixing bowl, combine shortening and peanut butter. Mix well.

Next, add both sugars to the shortening/peanut butter mixture and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry mixture into the peanut butter mixture and mix well.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place on an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are lightly browned.  Remove from the oven, and immediately place a Hershey Kiss in the center of each cookie. Place on wire rack to cool.

Printer-friendly
Source: Hershey's

7 comments:

  1. The perfect classic cookie!!!! Yea, thats why I dont buy big bags of candy..the whole things ends up in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic take on a classic cookie! These were a Christmas staple in our home,and I love them still!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous blossoms! I loved these flavoured with peanut butter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these cookies! I also like to make them with the candy corn kisses around Halloween. You can never go wrong with the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these cookies, they are even better with miniature Reese's cups in place of the Hersey's Kisses.

    Also, There is not really anything wrong with silver wrappers showing up in strange places. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are one of my favorite cookies. Yours look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awsome Recipe! I'v got to say one thing though... big bag of chocolate + teenagers/adults = sugar high from hell! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio