Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pumpkin Bread



Posted by: Maggie

Uhhh...we're almost two weeks into September, and I haven't posted a pumpkin recipe yet.

That's just not right.

Annie shared a recipe last fall for pumpkin apple bread, but I still wanted to post the pumpkin bread recipe that we both grew up eating.  I call this my mom's recipe, but she may have gotten it from a cookbook or magazine somewhere back in the day.  Despite living 215 miles away from my mom now, I almost felt like I was back in her kitchen when I had a slice this morning for breakfast.

For those readers who haven't been around for long, here are some of our past pumpkin recipes in case you're looking for fall baking inspiration:

Pumpkin Butterscotch Blondies
Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Brownies (best. thing. ever.)
Pumpkin Pie Bars
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

Looking through those past posts made me realize how much my photography has improved over the past year. Granted, it's still nothing to write home about, especially compared to my food photography idols (Joy the Baker, and My Baking Addiction in case you're wondering.) Definitely an improvement though. Hurray for natural light!



Here's what you'll need:

2/3 cup shortening (I know...don't yell at me anti-shortening people of the world!)
2 2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 15 ounce can pumpkin
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup raisins (I used golden raisins because they're what I had on hand)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottoms only of two 9" loaf pans. Mix shortening and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs, pumpkin, and water.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves. Gradually beat dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Gently fold in nuts and raisins. Divide batter evenly between two pans, and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 45 minutes to an hour before removing from pans. Cool completely on a rack before slicing.

Printer-friendly

9 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I have been going crazy over all the pumpkin recipes on Pinterest and am so ready to try them out!

    By the way, I'm one of your newest followers!

    everydayaem.blogspot.com

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin time is not too far away! :) great looking moist bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy! A great fall bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pumpkin bread...yup..I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really does look amazing. I love pumpkin bread and know this would fit nicely into my rotation. I'll have to give it a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you. Pumpkin time is now. About time to drag out the candles and my pumpkin lotion. This bread looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumpkin recipes are the best! I recently made pumpkin butterscotch cookies and they turned out amazing. Nice and fluffy on the inside with surprise butterscotch chips throughout. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tis the season for great quick breads! I can't imaging Fall without Pumpkin bread! Thanks for the recipe. We'll give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh yum! Another favorite Fall treat of mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio