Monday, September 26, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash Orzo


Posted by: Maggie

"Remember when Ross tried to say butternut squash, and it came out squtternut bosh?" 

Yeah, that line was replaying in my head on a loop the entire time I was making this recipe.

Around this time of year, I usually get my butternut squash fix by purchasing as many of the Lean Cuisine Butternut Squash Ravioli meals as my grocery store gets in stock. While those are mighty tasty, I kind of feel like garbage when I overdo it on the frozen food, so I turned to this recipe instead.

This was my first time cooking butternut squash, and it really reminded me that I need to upgrade from my $6 knife I purchased at a grocery store back in 2004. (Ahem. Hint. Christmas is in 3 months.) Those suckers are hard to cut. I had several close calls, but I managed to get through the recipe with all of my fingers intact, and ended up with a delicious and healthy dinner.

Also, for those of you who don't follow my word vom on Twitter and may have missed it, I attended the DC VegFest on Saturday, and wrote about it for DCEventJunkie.com! I would love if you'd go over there and check it out!

Here's what you'll need:

1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 small red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup orzo pasta
1 cup (packed) baby spinach, chopped
3/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with foil. In a large bowl, toss squash, onion, and garlic with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread out in a single layer on the baking sheet, and roast for 40-50 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Give the vegetables a good stir a couple times while they're roasting.

While the squash is roasting, cook the orzo pasta according to directions on the box. Drain and set aside.

After the veggies are done, chop the roasted garlic. Add the squash, onions, garlic, spinach, and cranberries to the orzo. Toss with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

Printer-friendly (All of my other printer-friendly pages stopped working yesterday, so this one may stop working too. If anyone can help me figure out why, I will give you a million dollars. That's a lie, but I will be super grateful.)
Adapted from: Two Peas and Their Pod

10 comments:

  1. Whaa I love butternut squash! It's my favourite for fall!

    Looks so good!

    Chloé

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love butternut squash!! This looks awesome...though I'll agree with you - cutting a butternut squash is a pain in the butt and takes some serious muscle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything in this dish! It looks so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love butternut squash and I love Orzo. What a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butternut squash and love fall cos I get to use more of it :) This is going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orzo is a dish I have not tried. I really like the addition of the dried cranberries for some added punch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe! Oh how I love Friends...that was such a great show. This dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this recipe - I added some edamame beans as well and it turned out great! A great side dish to my panko buttermilk chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omygawsh this looks so delicious! I've always wanted to make orzo (I think orzo is so cute because it's pasta that wishes it were rice) and I've even bought a package, but I didn't know what to serve it with. This recipe is definitely a winner in my books since it has butternut squash. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, that looks so good! Great idea with the orzo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio