Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Vegan Chili



Posted by: Maggie

You know those people who use the word literally, when really they mean figuratively? Like...when they're hungry, they'll say I *literally* almost died of starvation. Or I *literally* almost ate a small child. Or, when they're extremely tired - I *literally* fell asleep standing up. Well, I'm usually one of those people. I was an English major in college - I have no excuse for this linguistic faux pas.

So, just know, that when you read the next sentence, I do actually mean literally this time. Monday, was literally the most humid afternoon I have ever experienced in Northern Virginia. I walked outside, armed with a grocery list detailing all of the ingredients that I needed for a big pot of chili, pumpkin beer, and other fall delights, and almost instantly started melting. My hair clung to my neck, my jeans stuck to my legs, and the makeup that I'd applied just to go to the grocery store (yep, I'm that girl) started sliding off my face. I have lived in this notoriously humid area for almost 5 years, and have literally never felt humidity as intense as what I experienced on Monday - the day that was supposed to be the unofficial beginning of fall.

Fortunately, I was undeterred in my quest for fall goodies. Once Labor Day rolls around, I get a little gung-ho about celebrating fall, and I wasn't going to let humidity stop me. A quick trip to Whole Foods got me all the ingredients I needed for this chili, as well as a 6-pack of this awesome pumpkin beer.


I've been so excited about celebrating fall this week, that I even joined a fantasy football league. I'm really, really, really not a football person, but I'm trying to train myself to like it. You see, I started dating my boyfriend Jeff in April 2009. For the past two football seasons, I have sat grumpily on the couch every Sunday while he yells words I don't understand at the television. The extent of my football knowledge is as follows: a) a touchdown is 6 points, and b) Mark Sanchez has an absolutely breathtaking hiney. Anyway...my draft party was last night. This is what I ended up with; hopefully it doesn't suck! Pardon my handwriting...I learned cursive in a Catholic School, yet it looks like I write with my feet.


Here's what you'll need for a big, delicious pot of chili:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1-3 cloves garlic, minced (optional, because I forgot the garlic and it was still delicious without)
2 bell peppers, chopped (I used yellow and red)
1 vidalia onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
Pinch of kosher salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons oregano
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Juice of 1 lime
Sliced avocado, for garnish

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium. Add in your garlic, carrots, peppers, and onion, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the rest of the ingredients, and cook for 40 minutes over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings to taste (I added more cayenne and chili powder, but the amounts listed in the recipe are good starting points.)

Printer-friendly
Source: Oh She Glows (an awesome healthy living blog with great vegan recipes! Even carnivores like me can enjoy them!) Originally adapted from Maintenance with Ashley

1 comment:

  1. I don't like it when the weather gets cold, but I sure do LOVE fall flavors. Um, pumpkin beer? YUM! I'll have to see if they have Wolaver's here in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio