Friday, October 21, 2011

Mini Halloween Oreo Cheesecakes, and The Awkward Tale of Halloween '96

Mini Halloween Oreo Cheesecakes

Posted by: Maggie

I feel like a major buzz-kill by admitting this, but I don't really love Halloween. More accurately, I don't love dressing up for Halloween. I love haunted hayrides, corn mazes, pumpkin carving, and cute kids in costumes just fine. I don't love that 99% of costumes available in stores for grown ladies like myself are either trampy or matronly, with practically no middle ground.

The last time I really dressed up for Halloween was in 7th grade. Incidentally, it was also the last year I ever went trick-or-treating, but more on that in a minute. My mom had an old gypsy costume that I borrowed, and I piled on the makeup, crazy gold coin earrings, loads of dangly bracelets, and a headscarf. I was past the age of dressing up for school at that point, mainly due to my desire to invisibly walk the halls of Ocean Township Intermediate School without being taunted by the girls who had already figured out mascara, flat irons, and padded bras. Meanwhile, I still looked like the bastard love child of Art Garfunkel and Jan Brady. I'm ok now. May God bless Lancome Definicils, the Chi, and late teenage growth spurts.

Anyway, I got home from school that afternoon, and prepared to go trick-or-treating with one of my equally awkward friends. I have no recollection of what she dressed as for Halloween, but I do remember that she affected a British accent for the whole evening, not breaking character once, even though I'm fairly certain it had nothing to do with her costume. Birds of an awkward feather...

We traipsed through the neighborhood collecting candy, and finally arrived at one of the last houses on our route, which just so happened to be the home of my unrequited middle-school crush. He was blonde, all of his clothes came from Structure, and he was a bit of a troublemaker. Be still, my 12-year old heart. We walked up the pathway, rang the doorbell, and there stood my crush holding a bowl of candy and looking annoyed. I will always remember the eleven words he said to us next: "Aren't you girls a little old to be trick-or-treating?" His response didn't seem to faze my friend, but as I defeatedly walked home that evening, my heartbroken 12-year old self vowed never to trick-or-treat again.

When I went off to college, I tried to get in the Halloween spirit, once by dressing up in angel wings, a halo, and normal clothes, and once by wearing a helmet and carrying a sword. Although, in retrospect I think I may have stolen the sword from someone else's costume.


Those pictures were taken in 2004 and 2005, respectively, and I haven't dressed up since - not even in a half-assed construction worker with a sword kind of way. 

Things are changing this Halloween. Who remembers Salute Your Shorts? If you were born in the early to mid-80s like Jeff and myself, and live in the United States, there is a strong chance it was one of your favorite childhood shows. Jeff is going as camp counselor Kevin "Ug" Lee, and I will be going as camper Z.Z. Ziff. My costume consists of a Camp Anawanna tee shirt, a whistle, peace sign/earth earrings (Z.Z. was a hippie, remember?) and a syrup bottle for administering awful waffles (link NSFW thanks to some perverted and inaccurate descriptions of an awful waffle, but it's the only site I can find with a definition. Sorry.) Fun, nostalgic, not trampy, and inexpensive? That is the kind of Halloween costume I can get on board with.

I may be wary of the dressing up side of Halloween, but I can easily get on board with the desserts. I found the recipe for these Halloween cheesecakes over on Gingerbread Bagels. Lindsey's Halloween spirit is infectious, and it's enough to even warm up a Halloween Grinch like myself to the holiday! These are super good, and since they're miniature and portion-controlled it means you'll have more room for Halloween candy!

Here's what you'll need:

15 Halloween Oreos, whole
6 Halloween Oreos, pulverized in the food processor
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Orange gel food coloring

Preheat oven to 275 degrees, and line 2 muffin tins with 15 foil liners. Place one whole Oreo in each liner.

Place cream cheese in a large bowl, and beat on medium speed until smooth. Add in the sugar and beat throughly to combine. Add in vanilla extract and eggs, and beat until combined. Finally, gently mix in the sour cream.

Add in orange gel food coloring until the batter is your desired shade. Stir in Oreo crumbs.

Divide batter evenly among the muffin tins. You can fill these almost to the top since they don't really rise. Bake for 22 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Chill overnight if you can wait that long!

Printer-friendly
Source: Gingerbread Bagels

37 comments:

  1. I am becoming more and more obsessed with your blog! I wish I could somehow make these at home and transport them in one piece back to school...Thanks for the comment again! I don't think I could ever handle making crepes haha but I couldn't believe my eyes! Don't worry though, in terms of the other food...you're not missing much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! these look awesome...and on halloween- that story sucks! don't worry, there are all kinds of costumes out there waiting for you- you need to hit up the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cheesecakes look soooo good! :) I don't like dressing up for Halloween either but I'm super Halloween obsessed (obviously haha!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. these cheesecakes are so fun! I love halloween, but I don't really dress up...unless you count wearing an apron and being a "baker". I totally get the aversion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These look amazing! I have a slight obsession with all things holiday (any holiday) so I will for sure be making these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you write! That Halloween story is hilarious and so familiar. I was trick or treating until I was about 14, I mean who can turn down free sweeties?
    Love the little cheesecakes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, that was about the age I stopped trick or treating too.
    I'm definitely making these for Halloween. Looks so so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVED your story. I can remember being in 8th grade, trick or treating, and one lady that answered her door refused to give us candy because we were 'TOO OLD". I never trick or treated after that either! Lovin these cupcakes! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I apologize ahead but someone's got to say it... The sword doesn't fit in with the construction worker. There! what a relief! Now, those oreo or cheese cups, I would have to say, just wonderful and innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These Halloween cheesecakes look beautiful and adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the post. Thanks for sharing. The oreo cupcakes look to wonderful. I will be making those. Come visit. We have a terrific three way lasagna to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hate Halloween. Love you. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look amazing and super simple. We don't get Halloween oreos in the UK (we dont even get double stuff ones over here!!!) BUT there are other biscuits I really like and I'm guessing the idea is pretty transferable. I'll definitely let you know if I do! I'm sort of thinking shortbread with strawberry cream cheese! Not exactly seasonal.. but hey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look awesomely delicious, and so festive for Halloween. I think the last time I dressed up was my freshman year of college... drunk bumble bee is not a good look for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum!! These look really delicious!! and i love your half construction man costume :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just discovered your blog via pinterest and feel like we're long-lost friends! I too, am not really a fan of dressing up, and when I saw your picture of the "angel" costumes it reminded me of dressing up with my college friends as angels one year, reluctantly I might say. :) Anyway, I've already pinned quite a few recipes and look forward to keeping up with your blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much Carrie! This makes my day :)

      Delete
  18. Making them as we speak...wish me luck

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look delicious, planning to make them in a couple weeks! As far as Halloween goes, I love dressing up, and was thinking of taking my 2.5 month old daughter this year so I could get candy for myself....lol. Is it too soon? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, definitely not too soon. I love seeing babies all dressed up, so I will give you all the candy you want if you come to my door :)

      Delete
  20. These were great and your directions made it simple. Thank goodness for cheesecakes that don't require a water bath. I hope you don't mind my changing your recipe a bit and tagging my blog back to yours :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    http://alohayinzmangia.blogspot.com/2012/10/halloween-oreo-mini-cheesecakes.html

    http://www.facebook.com/AlohaYinzMangia

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all - thanks for letting me know you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  21. I will be making these to bring to my in-laws this weekend. As an aside, I agree with your comment about costumes for women. I want to be a witch...NOT a "sexy" witch! :-) Thanks for the great recipie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made these tonight for the first time, and after trying one just now I have to say OH MY GOD THESE ARE SO DELICIOUS. I also love how easy these are to make and what little prep time it took! Thanks a bunch for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. For the 6 Oreoes Pulverized in food processer- is it the whole cookie (including the cream filling), also can a cupcake tin be used instead of a muffin pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tami! Correct, the whole cookie. A cupcake tin is fine as long as it's not a mini cupcake tin - same thing as a muffin pan! Enjoy :)

      Delete
  24. How many does this recipe make

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can you cool them in the refrigerator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah - Yes, cool them in the fridge. As specified in the recipe, make sure to chill them overnight for best results!

      Delete
  26. These look great! I'm thinking of trying to make a Christmas version for a party I have coming up :) Would it be okay to use regular food coloring or do I have to use gel? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Ashley!

    I would definitely take the time to track down the gel color. I assume you're going to color these red or green? You have to use a LOT of red food coloring - even with gel color to get food to not look pink. If you used that much of the regular food coloring it would throw the recipe ratios all out of whack.

    Hope you can find it easily - I always order mine online, but I believe craft stores like Michael's carry it as well. Good luck, and have fun at your party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was browsing and found your blog, and was so happy you’ve got interesting Halloween Food ! Thanks for sharing and I do hope I could pin some nice photos on my Pinterest boards. Good day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio