Friday, October 7, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes for Two



Posted by: Maggie

Hey guys...we started a Facebook page! It would make our day if you'd go over there and "like" us! Please and thank you :) 

Moving along...

Remember back in August when I made Jessica's brilliant Vanilla Cupcakes for Two?

They were awesome, and I've showed a remarkable amount of restraint with this recipe. I thought that knowing how to make two delicious cupcakes would lead to doing so every day, but fortunately for my bottom I was incorrect.

However...I've had it in the back of my mind since first making the recipe that I wanted to try my hand at turning it into some different flavors. Well, Jeff was tired of listening to me whine about pumpkin shortages, and brought me a can. I immediately decided to come up with a pumpkin version of cupcakes for two, and 3 batches later I have a winner!

The first batch was awful, the second batch was mediocre, and the third batch was like a party in my mouth. This cupcake is moist and tender, with a light pumpkin flavor and a lot of fall spices. Top it with cinnamon buttercream, and shove it in your face hole. You will thank me.

Here's what you'll need:

For the cupcakes:

1 egg white
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
1/4 cup cake flour
1/4 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1/2 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line your muffin tin with two liners.

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg white and sugar until thoroughly combined. Whisk in oil, vanilla, and pumpkin until fully incorporated. In a small bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet until just combined. Lastly, stir in milk. The batter will be very liquidy.

Divide the batter between two liners filling slightly more than 3/4 full. You will have a small amount of batter left that you can eat with a spoon, or just throw away, depending on how afraid of salmonella you are. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cake is set and a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool completely before frosting.

For the cinnamon buttercream frosting:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted after measuring
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Beat together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cinnamon until throughly incorporated into frosting. Makes enough to generously frost two cupcakes.

Printer-friendly
Cupcakes heavily adapted from How Sweet Eats, and frosting is by me!

8 comments:

  1. How would you suggest changing this recipe so it makes 24 cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous - thanks for commenting :)

    I wouldn't suggest trying to recreate this recipe on a large scale - it's designed to make a small portion.

    However, we do have a recipe that we posted last fall for Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting that you may want to try. They're one of my favorite recipes on our site!

    http://abitchinkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/10/pumpkin-cupcakes-with-maple-cream.html

    Let me know if you try it!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there... i just started a new web site (http://picyourtaste.com) for food pictures where people can share and rate them. I loved your pictures and would like to invite you for beta testing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to make these! Love your blog :)

    Bianca @ Sweet Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely gorgeous! I think it's perfect for Halloween. Looks very scrumptious! I could eat a dozen since I'm a pumpkin lover :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful! I love recipes scaled down to a perfect portion for two, and these are so adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I want one!
    Just stumbled upon your blog and was so excited I have a food inspiration tumblr with the same title
    at guiltyofgluttony.tumblr.com
    Random..

    Thanks for sharing all these great recipes..
    You've got a new follower!

    Elizabeth
    www.southernelle.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio