Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Seasoned Sweet Potato Chips


Posted by: Annie

I have Yam versus Sweet Potato confusion. 

Growing up, I was a very difficult child and hated baked potatoes. As a result, my mom would always make me what I thought was a baked yam. They were orange in color, sweet tasting, and in my opinion far surpassed the baked potatoes that everyone else was eating.

This week, I bought potatoes that were labeled yams and had the following text exchange with Maggie:

...and then I was very concerned. Was I making yam chips? Sweet potato chips? I then went to the most excellent source of information ever - Google. I read this and now believe that I possibly bought sweet potatoes that were mislabeled as yams. Nevertheless, these chips are awesome, and fallish, and make me very excited for the crisp fall weather that has begun.

What you will need:

2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean and sliced into 1/8" slices
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add sweet potato slices and oil to a re-sealable bag or large tupperware and shake to coat. In a small dish, combine the seasonings and add to the sweet potatoes. Shake again to evenly coat. Lay potato slices on a foil-lined baking sheet, and bake 12-14 minutes (around 12 minutes mine were getting dark, so keep an eye on the potatoes while cooking!)

Remove the potatoes from the oven and flip. Cook for an additional 10 minutes until crisp. Place potatoes on a wire cooling rack to cool (they crisp up more while cooling.)

Printer-friendly
Source: Simple Comfort Food

4 comments:

  1. Yummy!! That looks really good!
    Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE sweet potatoes and these sweet potato chips look soooo sooo good. Love all of the seasonings you used for them. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome recipe, guys! We're huge sweet potato fans and will be trying this one very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. This recipe looks fantastic. Come visit and check out our sweet potato waffles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio