Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Spicy Bean and Rice Burritos


Posted by: Maggie

I have made this recipe so many times, and have neglected to share it with you for one reason: I cannot take a good photo of it. Beans just aren't pretty, especially when they're all smushed into a tortilla. Don't let this homely burrito fool you though...it's super delicious, and could give Chipotle a run for their money.

One of the best things about this recipe is that it's customizable based on how healthy you want to be. I went to a wedding on Saturday with exceptionally delicious food and cake, and may have had several drinks more than what would be considered reasonable. When you start your day with a Bellini at 9 am, and finally finish it with an Irish coffee at 11 pm, you're going to want something healthy-ish for the following days, and fast. Needless to say, I made some healthy tweaks when I cooked this on Monday.

To somewhat healthify this recipe, I used brown rice instead of white, fat free greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and reduced-fat cheese instead of regular. I did stick with regular flour tortillas though, because whole wheat tortillas make me sad. If anyone knows of a brand that doesn't taste like sandpaper, please enlighten me.

I've said it a million times on here that I'm not crazy about leftovers, but these are definitely an exception.  I have the rest of the burritos all assembled and wrapped in foil in the fridge, ready to heat up for the rest of the week.

P.S. Don't forget that we started a Facebook page! Feel free to "like" us if ya want!

Here's what you'll need:

For the filling:

1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 pepper from a can of chipotles in adobo, minced
1 tablespoon sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Several dashes cayenne pepper
1/3 cup water
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
1/4 cup fresh salsa

For serving:

6 burrito-sized tortillas, warmed
8 ounces shredded cheese (I used a reduced-fat Mexican blend, Cheddar or Monterey Jack would also be good!)
Shredded lettuce
4 green onions, chopped
Fat-free Greek yogurt (or sour cream)

Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, adobo sauce, cumin, and cayenne. Cook briefly until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Add in drained and rinsed beans, and water. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to medium-low and cook for 8 minutes, mashing the bean mixture slightly. Remove from heat, and stir in rice and salsa.

Divide mixture evenly among the center of each tortilla. Top with cheese, lettuce, green onions, and greek yogurt. Roll up, and serve!

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Cooking Light

23 comments:

  1. it sure does give Chipotle a run for their money! delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sold! burritos=my favorite. seriously i eat them breakfast, lunch or dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. burritos are tough to photograph...but so delicious!

    photo booths at weddings are the best, I still regret not springing for one at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I love me some burritos, and well those beans are looking pretty photogenic to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! This looks amazing and a perfect lunch idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this burrito is freaking packed! Okay now there really is no reason to ever go to Chipotle :)

    And this photo is awesome! But I totally know what you mean about un-photogenic food. It's so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what can you use as a subsitute for the 1 tablespoon sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo. Couldnt find any

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anonymous - I'm seeing this comment about 5 months too late, sorry! For anyone else who has this question, there isn't really a substitute for the chipotles in adobo as they're a very distinct flavor. They're usually located in the Spanish or Mexican section of the grocery store, in a small can. Check wherever the Goya products are!

      Delete
  8. Ii made these tonight for dinner and wow! Will definitely be making again!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mission makes some Multi-Grain tortilla shells that are pretty good. They have whole wheat in them but taste much better than the whole wheat ones. Only drawback is they have slightly more fat, probably not enough to be a concern. Also they are stronger than white tortilla shells and hold together much better if you're ingredients have too much moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mission makes some Multi-Grain tortilla shells that taste pretty good. I've had the whole wheat ones too and am not very fond of them. The multi-grain ones are also stronger than white tortilla shells and hold up much better if you have moist ingredients. They have slightly more fat that some other types but not much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just came across your blog from Tasty Kitchen and I am so glad that I did! This recipe looks amazing! Quick question and it is probably silly but if I were to make these and freeze them for lunches, should I hold off on the toppings until I am ready to eat or do you think I can freeze the burritos with the cheese, yogurt, etc? I know lettuce probably wouldn't freeze nicely but not sure about the other ingredients.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! So glad you stumbled over from TK!

      I've never tried freezing these before. I definitely agree not to include the lettuce, and I've heard that green onions should not be frozen. I think the Pioneer Woman actually mentioned once on her site that freezing chemically alters their taste. So, definitely leave those out.

      If I were to attempt freezing these, I'd probably just include the ingredients from the filling portion of the recipe. You could always melt cheese on top when you're reheating them, and serve the yogurt on the side.

      Sorry, I know this probably isn't super helpful, but since I've never tried it before I don't want to say for sure! Please let me know if you experiment with freezing!

      Delete
  12. I was just going to comment about freezing :) I made a batch of frozen breakfast burritos for everyone coming to my house for thanksgiving weekend so there were options for people to grab as they were ready the morning after. Long story short, wrap each individually in plastic wrap, then put them in a gallon freezer bag or other freezer container. Reheat by taking plastic off and wrap in paper towel-micro for 2-2.5 minutes. A good tip is to stop cooking the eggs while they're still glossy since they get reheated so they aren't rubbery. (if you're tracking, I found you via pinterest for the pumpkin snickerdoodles)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment is coming a very long time after you originally posted (hail to the power of Pinterest!) But I wanted to say that I made these for the first time a few nights ago, and they were incredible. I changed nothing about the recipe, and it was the perfect amount of spiciness for our tastes. My husband and I were the only ones eating, so we had several days of yummy leftovers. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! Glad to hear you guys liked them :)

      Delete
  14. Wow! This looks great! I saw your post on RecipeNewz and pinned it. I wanted to come by and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made this 3 times now and it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. I've made these like 10 times and each time I love them more. Before finding your recipe on Pinterest, I thought making burritos at home was too complicated. Thanks for sharing this delicious and easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look delicious! I can't wait to try them! Could you add chicken to these burritos? If so, when would you add the chicken? Can they cook with the beans, seasoning and water? Thanks so much!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! I'd probably cook the chicken separately and add it in when assembling the burrito. I'd cut the chicken into cubes and saute in some oil until cooked through.

      Let me know how it works out...this is one of my fave recipes, but I've never tried it with meat before. Enjoy!

      Delete
  18. I have made these several times and am making them again tonight for dinner! My 12 year old daughter loves them! She asks for them all the time!!! Yum! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio