Monday, October 3, 2011

Sweet Potato Ice Cream


Posted by: Maggie

I know what you may be thinking...sweet potatoes? In ice cream? Blech.

Hear me out.

I cannot find any canned pumpkin in Alexandria, Virginia. Actually, let me rephrase. I cannot find any Libby's canned pumpkin in Alexandria, Virginia. The other brands are watery and worthless when it comes to baking. "Give me Libby's or give me death!" - Patrick Henry. Yep, pretty sure our Founding Fathers are all rolling over in their graves as I type this.

I used my one single can of Libby's pumpkin (purchased last fall) on pumpkin bread and pumpkin oatmeal a couple weeks ago. I didn't know at the time that I would have so much trouble tracking it down this fall. Jeff lives 40 minutes away from me, and was supposed to bring me a can last weekend, since apparently there is no shortage out where he lives.

Welllll, he forgot. I got sad. I turned to my second favorite orange fall food for comfort, the humble sweet potato. I stopped being sad when I remembered bookmarking We Are Not Martha's Sweet Potato Ice Cream last year, back before I had an ice cream maker.

This stuff is so delicious that I barely miss pumpkin. Sure, I'll buy it if my grocery stores ever get their acts together and stock the shelves. I have about 300 pumpkin recipes starred in my Google Reader after all.

Note: If you use the very popular Cuisinart ice cream maker for this, keep an eye on it as it churns. This recipe makes slightly more than 1 quart of ice cream, and mine overflowed a bit!

Here's what you'll need:

2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
5 egg yolks
1 cup sweet potato puree (see recipe for instructions, or buy it pre-made. I used 3 small sweet potatoes and had a bit of leftover puree.)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

To make the sweet potato puree, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, stab potatoes several times with a fork, and bake for 60-90 minutes (depending on size of potato), or until fork tender. Let cool completely, then cut in half and scoop out the flesh.

Add the sweet potato flesh and 1 tablespoon of water to a food processor, and process until completely smooth. Measure out 1 cup, and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved completely and the mixture is hot.

In a medium-sized heat resistant bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks. Slowly pour half of the cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking the entire time. Next, pour egg/cream mixture into the remainder of the cream in the saucepan, whisking the entire time. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6-8 minutes, or until mixture has slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Do not let it boil!

Pour the mixture through a mesh strainer into a medium-sized heat resistant bowl. Whisk in the sweet potato puree and spices until thoroughly combined.

Cover, and refrigerate the bowl for at least 12 hours before churning in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. It took about 20 minutes in my Cuisinart. Freeze for several hours before serving. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before scooping for the best texture!

Printer-friendly
Source: We Are Not Martha, originally from Sweet Bytes

8 comments:

  1. I feel ya on the pumpkin shortage, there were only two, lonely cans left at my grocery store. I'm really glad I snagged them...though sweet potatoes are pretty amazing too. The ice cream looks great and that container is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love sweet potatoes and an icecream with sweet potato actually doesnt sound that bad to me! I havent made icecream at all this year :( and was thinking its too late now, but maybe not, with pumpkin or sweet potato in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer about the pumpkin shortage, but this ice cream sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely amazing! My cross country team and I are obsessed with anything sweet potato and we already made plans to make this this weekend! SOOO glad I got an ice cream maker last Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how yummy. I cannot wait to try this as soon as I get an ice cream maker. We must be thinking alike. We are having sweet potato recipes this month too. Come over on Thursday, I have the most amazing waffle recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I just moved from NYC to Fairfax, VA and FINALLY found Libby canned pumpkin at a random grocery store, so good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a culinary art student, my instructor asked me to create a desert out of sweet potatoes, the fist thought I had was Ice Cream. I was excited to see this, so next week I will create Sweet potato ice cream..... I'll let you know how it turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds yummy! I can't wait to try this out over the summer. =) Thank you for being so creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio