Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tiramisu Trifles


Posted by: Maggie

Almost everything you see posted here is something I've made within the past week, or two weeks at the most. Neither Annie or I have a huge backlog of recipes waiting to be posted like a lot of food bloggers seem to (P.S. super-jeal of you bloggers who do since I'd looove to post daily!), so it's easiest just to share recipes with you as we make them. 

However...on occasion, a really awesome recipe slips through the cracks, and doesn't get posted in a timely manner. I made these trifles about 5 weeks ago on a night that I cooked for Jeff. I made us roasted garlic crostini and homemade spaghetti and meatballs, and I wanted a dessert to go along with the Italian theme.  I even hinted about the recipe over on Twitter and never delivered!

Now, weeks later, you finally get to know that the mystery desserts I mentioned on twitter were tiramisu trifles. I'm sure you've all been waiting with bated breath. Right? 

This isn't your traditional tiramisu by any means, and I'm pretty sure that real Italians would scoff at my use of Oreo cookies over ladyfingers, and ricotta over mascarpone, but they were extremely delicious and simple to make. I also liked that I wasn't left with a ton of leftover dessert - I used large stemless wineglasses to serve these, and it perfectly filled three glasses. 

Here's what you'll need:

For the base:

1 cup heavy whipping cream 
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 tablespoon Kahlua if you have it)
1 teaspoon instant espresso granules

For layering:

1 cup heavy cream, whipped with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup chocolate cookie crumbs (Grind Oreos in a food processor without the cream centers. The centers are easily scraped out of divided cookies with a butter knife.)

For the garnish:

Fresh Strawberries
Chocolate shavings

Prepare the whipped cream and cookie crumbs (indicated under the "for layering" portion of the ingredients) and set aside. 

Combine whipping cream and granulated sugar (from the "for the base" section of the ingredients) in a medium bowl. Beat until cream is stiff, and set aside. 

Combine ricotta cheese, cocoa powder, vanilla, and instant espresso granules in a medium bowl. Beat until blended. 

Add ricotta mixture to the whipped cream, and gently fold in with a rubber spatula until no white streaks remain. 

To assemble, start with a layer of the ricotta mixture. Next, add a layer of the whipped cream, and then a layer of cookie crumbs. Repeat until all ingredients are used, and garnish with chocolate shavings and fresh strawberries. 

These can be refrigerated for up to a day before serving. I made these about 4 hours before serving, and the cookie crumbs stayed crisp, however on day 2 they had absorbed a lot of moisture (but were still delicious!) 


12 comments:

  1. My boyfriend LOVES tiramisu! I can't wait to try these! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like such a fin and easy dessert to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are torturing me - if only one of those would magically appear in front of my computer right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah i can't get over how quickly i've become obsessed with your blog :) these look scrumptious

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say better later than never with that dessert. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it. Come over and visit. Awesome pumpkin panna cotta this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful. I love tiramisu, but it doesn't look that appetizing once it's scooped onto a plate. These would be the perfect ending to our next dinner party. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those look so delicious. Great presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just discovered your blog and adore it and these look brilliantly simple. Here in the Uk, we have fruit trifle every year at xmas (im not sure how that tradition got started, but somehow it did...). Anyway I LOVE trifle but think I might need to try this version as a more seasonally appropriate option...!? xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how fancy these look and how easy they are to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This should be renamed as a devils food. It's evil enough to hear things like "eat it!!! eat it!!!" sorry going through a rough time not to eat the screen of my laptop. Wonderful recipe! I'll be checking out for more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio