Monday, November 21, 2011

Baked Potato Soup


Posted by: Annie

The quest for the perfect potato soup began almost two years ago...in this embarrassing blog post where I was still at the mercy of my point and shoot camera. Since that post, I never made homemade potato soup again, but did sample potato soup from practically every chain restaurant on the East Coast (thanks boyfriend.)

I decided that with the crisp weather and my somewhat improved photography skills, this weekend would be a perfect time to try a different potato soup recipe. I browsed the internet for so many potato soup recipes, and was struggling between a copy-cat chain restaurant recipe, and Paula Deen's southern potato soup recipe, and ultimately sided with the Queen of Southern Cooking. I am so glad I did. The soup was better than any restaurant's I've had, and was full of bacon AND cheese...what more could a girl ask for?

P.S. Don't forget that we're giving away an Anthropologie apron! Click here if you'd like to enter!

What you'll need:

For the soup...

1 1/2 sticks butter
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup flour
3 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
5 potatoes (baked, peeled, and diced into bite-sized pieces)
8 strips cooked bacon
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces sour cream
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated

For the garnish...

6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 bunch scallions, diced
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese

In a large pot, melt butter over low heat, taking care not to burn. Add in onions, and cook until tender. Add in flour, and stir constantly for one minute. Gradually add the chicken broth, continue to stir. Heat until the mixture has thickened and is bubbling. Next, add in potatoes, bacon, parsley, and heavy cream. Continue to cook for ten minutes. Stir in sour cream and cheese. Before serving, garnish with bacon, scallions, and more cheese if desired.

Printer-friendly
Source: Paula Deen for Smithfield

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE baked potato soup! I will have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were stranded on an island, my food of choice would be potato. Potato anything. Because anything with potatoes in it is awesome. Now, as I am not currently stranded on an island, I will make this soup and eat it alone. (As if on an island, and as if I don't have to share with anyone currently living in my house.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup looks fantastic. My husband will love this. Come visit us. We have pumpkin macaroni and cheese on the menu.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom made potato soup a lot when I was young, and I hate to admit, it was never a favorite :( This recipe sounds like a perfect remedy for that! Mmmm...bacon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can't go wrong with a paula deen baked potato soup recipe! looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh I love baked potato soup. This looks so creamy and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like some of this for dinner please. Also your photo looks awesome! I didn't know it was possible to make something like potato soup look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love potato soup so much! Over here we are big on leek and potato soup and I posted a recipe waaaaay back. Like your firest attempt though the photo was a total disaster - very impressed at your second shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cant wait to try this recipe tomorrow! Perfect weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a recipe for a restaurant chain's potato soup that is amazing..everyone who tries mine think it's the best they've eaten. This looks like it would be just as yummy so i must try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio