Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos with Chipotle Crema


Posted by: Maggie

These tacos are super healthy, super delicious, and super cheap. They're also super full of flavor, and I made a super mess of my kitchen sink when I ate four of them while standing over it. Super duper. 

I'm at a super duper loss for words for words today. I have had a terrible cold since last Monday, and I think the amount of Nyquil I've consumed over the past eight days has turned my brain into mush. I have stared at this screen for about 20 minutes trying to think of what to talk about to accompany these tacos and am coming up empty.

Oh wait, here's a kind of funny story. When I bought the ingredients for these tacos on Monday (beans and cabbage...) the coupon that printed out at the register was for Beano. That simply cannot be a coincidence given the ingredients I was purchasing.

Have I ruined your appetite by discussing gas medicine? I hope not.

These tacos have four fillings that you'll need to make - the potatoes, the beans, the cabbage, and the sauce.  If it seems like a strange combination, just trust me and try it. I promise you'll love it.

For the potatoes:

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Juice of 1 lime

For the cabbage:

2 cups shredded purple cabbage (I used my food processor to finely shred it)
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
Kosher salt, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste

For the beans:

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
Juice of 1 lime

For the sauce:

6 ounces non-fat Greek yogurt
3-5 tablespoons pureed chipotles in adobo (I pureed them myself in my food processor)
Kosher salt, cumin, and cayenne to taste

For serving: 

12 small corn tortillas

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with foil. In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato chunks, olive oil, lime juice, salt, and red pepper flakes until evenly coated. Spread potatoes in a single layer onto the baking sheet, and roast in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until soft, stirring once or twice to ensure even cooking.

While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the cabbage. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, and toss to combine. Set aside.

Now it's time to make the sauce. Combine your pureed chipotles, Greek yogurt, and seasonings in a small bowl, and stir well. This sauce has quite a kick to it, so gradually add the chipotle if your heat tolerance is low. Set aside.

To prepare the beans, heat olive oil over medium heat in a small saucepan. Saute the onions until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin and stir until fragrant - about 30 seconds. Lastly, add in the beans and lime juice. Cook for about 5 minutes until beans have softened and the mixture is heated through.

Heat corn tortillas according to package directions (I just nuke mine for about 30 seconds between damp paper towels) and assemble tacos. Enjoy!

Printer-friendly
Recipe source: Joy the Baker and the sauce is inspired by Emeril.

16 comments:

  1. what a burst of colors in that picture!! makes me wanna eat them right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I've made roasted butternut squash and feta quesadillas before, this kind of reminds me of that. The colors are beautiful too!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are spectacular! I just found your blog through foodgawker and am so glad I did. Looking forward to checking out more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look very healthy and the sweet potatoes are perfect for the season! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no, I hope your cold goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look just as scrumptious as when I first saw them over @ Joy's! And bummer about the cold :( Nyquil always turns me into a zombie too. Get better soon xx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fabulous colours, I just want to try this because of the pink and orange, my favourite colour combination!! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These tacos sound AMAZING!!! Gorgeous colors too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The taco sound wonderful and I love their colorful appearance cold. I hope you'll be feeling better soon. It's an awful time of year to be slowed down with a bad cold. Have a good and restful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fab - beautiful colors and love the black beans and sweet potatoes in favor of meat (though I love my steak tacos, I do appreciate a filling veggie version).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this photo is gorgeous! I love how bright and vibrant the cabbage looks. (and...yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, this sounds delicious! Love how you've made these tacos perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious. All the ingredients I love. Come visit. Cranberry couscous is on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These were absolutely fantastic! I loved the cabbage and the spicy kick and lime flavor infused throughout! Keep the recipes coming (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are beautiful! Do you think they would be good served cold or at room temperature? I'm thinking of leftovers for lunch.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura!

      Sorry for the delayed response. I definitely thing they would still taste good that way! Pretty sure I microwaved the leftovers when I originally made them, but I cannot imagine these tasting bad cold :) Be sure to make the sauce! It's the best part!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio