Monday, November 14, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Cake


Posted by: Maggie

I made this pumpkin pie cake two Friday nights ago. Jeff was over, and we decided to stay in instead of going to a late movie as planned. He was exhausted, and I was having flashbacks to the two previous, very, very bad times Jeff and I saw a movie together.

Back in April, Jeff and I went to see Scream 4 in Chinatown. You'd think that a rated R movie at dinnertime would be full of other adults, right? Well, you'd be wrong. The theater was full of loud teenagers, and every other seat was illuminated by a cell phone screen. Worst of all, during the pivotal scene of the movie, two young girls "snuck" in (I use quotation marks because the word "snuck" inaccurately implies that they were quiet) and one of them proceeds to call up a friend, and asks the friend to catch her up on the first hour of the movie that she missed.

Well, I was not about to let that happen. I didn't wait 11 years to find out Sidney Prescott's ultimate fate to have it ruined by a cell phone conversation. The girl on the cell phone was probably not even eating solid food when the first Scream movie came out. After politely asking her to hang up the phone twice, a scene similar to this ensued, with me being Dr. Evil, and rude cell phone girl being Scott Evil.



Of course, this was nearly as disruptive as her cell phone conversation. In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd had the cojones to pry her cell phone away and hurl it at the wall.

Nearly six months went by without Jeff and I seeing another movie together. He was probably afraid I'd go ballistic on another rude movie patron.

Last month we decided to see Paranormal Activity 3. We both loved the first two, and were unwilling to wait for the DVD. This time we ventured out to a theater in the 'burbs, where I fully expected a more adult clientele.

I was wrong. There was a group of about 15 teenagers in the front row of the theater, who were talking, texting, and only paying attention to the movie for the purpose of providing loud, inane, commentary throughout the entire thing. It was awful, and it completely ruined the movie. People near them were shushing them the entire time which didn't help. No one seemed to want to go get a theater employee and risk missing part of the movie.

Anyway, as I mentioned before I went on my rambling tangent about rude movie theater patrons, I made this pumpkin pie cake last Friday, in lieu of going to a movie with Jeff. After our lazy night in on Friday, we decided to risk it and head to the movie on Saturday instead. We both wanted to see the Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas movie. I am now sensing that our immature taste in movies may be part of the problem. Anyway...it was glorious. We were two of about 20 people in the entire theater - 20 people who remained silent throughout the entire movie except for laughter.

As happy as I am that our terrible movie going streak is over, I'm even happier that we stayed in Friday night and got to eat this. This is super quick to throw together, thanks to the inclusion of a cake mix, and is extremely delicious warm from the oven, or chilled. To compensate for using a cake mix as the base, I made the whipped cream from scratch. If you want to do the same, just use an electric mixer to beat 1 cup of whipping cream with 2 1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar for about 3 minutes on medium high, or until stiff peaks form. Easy peasy, and better than Cool Whip!

This recipe is a great Thanksgiving dessert if you want to deviate from the traditional pumpkin pie. It also makes a yummy breakfast. Don't judge, you know you want this for breakfast too.

Unrelated announcement: To celebrate A Bitchin' Kitchen's 2-year blogiversary, we're having our first giveaway here on Thursday! Make sure to come back and enter!

Here's what you'll need:

1 box yellow cake mix
3/4 cup softened butter, divided
4 large eggs
2 15-ounce cans pumpkin
1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Remove 1 cup of the cake mix from the box, and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat remaining cake mix, 1/2 cup of the butter, and 1 egg. Evenly press into the prepared pan. In the same bowl, beat the pumpkin, the 3 remaining eggs, 1 cup of the sugar, the evaporated milk, and cinnamon. Pour mixture over crust. Using the same bowl (wipe it out first if necessary) combine the reserved cake mix, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the pumpkin filling. Sprinkle the pecans on top. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until filling is set. If you want to eat it warm, cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into it. Serve with whipped cream!

Printer-friendly
Source: Mom!

25 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely scrumptious!! I will try to make this sometime this week, and yes, eat it for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this to take to my family for Thanksgiving dinner. They do the usual pie stuff but I wanted something different. This will be perfect. And since I suck at baking, it will also probably take a few tries. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! that slice is calling out to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the perfect pumpkin dessert. Looks so yummy. Come visit us. We have a terrific mulled cider and a legacy cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guys - this looks amazing! I want to serve it at Thanksgiving (it looks sorta like a lemon bar but with pumpkin instead?!) ONLY I cant serve cake mix cake to the mega foodies I have arriving. Would making a regular sponge cake mix work!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Em -

    You could try it - I've never made it as a completely homemade dessert before! I'm usually pretty anti-cake mix myself, but you honestly don't taste a lot of cake in this recipe - the pumpkin and the crumb topping is the strongest flavor.

    Let me know how it goes if you try it with homemade cake!

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great Maggie! Perfect for the season.

    I totally feel you on loud teens ruining movies...it's crazy frustrating and makes me want to throw gum in their hair. So mature, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pumpkin pie cake! I haven't had it in a while, but my mom used to make this around the holidays; I think I like this better than regular pumpkin pie : ) My favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! That looks so perfect for this week or even this fall/winter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks so yummy!

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, this cake looks amazing! I am adding this to my list of recipes to make asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have completely fallen in love with your blog....all the recipes and photo's look amazing!! I would love to make this cake but what is yellow cake mix? I am from Australia is there another name?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Honey for Jam -

    Thanks for the kind words :)

    Yellow Cake Mix is basically packaged dry ingredients for a cake - all you have to do is add oil, eggs, and water. http://www.amazon.com/Duncan-Hines-Classic-Yellow-Layer/dp/B0002IMS5K

    You can purchase it online, but I can't imagine it would be very economical to ship it to Australia.

    I haven't tried this, so I can't vouch for the results, but you could always try mixing up the dry ingredients for a cake and using those in place of the mix.

    Hope that helps!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  14. how many servings would you say this makes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura - it really depends on the size of the pieces you cut. I think you could probably get 8 nice sized portions out of this. When in doubt, make more dessert than necessary though :)

      Delete
  15. I just made this and it was awesome. Definitely making this at thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for coming back to let me know :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you for this recipe, I made it for many years and, all of a sudden, my recipe disappeared!! I'll be sure and keep this one in a safer place! By the way, it is an absolutely delicious dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help! Any idea where it's actually from? I just credited my mom because she gave it to me on a recipe card :)

      Delete
  17. Store in frig or room temperature?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have this in the oven right now! My mom and I make something new each year and this was my choice. My daughter said this is what she is looking forward to most! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have this in the oven right now! My mom and I try something new each year and this was my pick. :) My daughter said she is looking forward to this most! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have this in the oven right now! My mom and I make something new each year and this was my choice. My daughter said this is what she is looking forward to most! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Hope you enjoyed it :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio