Friday, December 16, 2011

Soft Gingersnap Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks


Posted by: Maggie

(Please read the following as if a Gingersnap Cookie is speaking in the first person. A Gingersnap Cookie with the smooth voice of Isaiah Mustafa. Yup. I promise not to post again while exhausted and/or after spending too much time on the You Tubes.) 

Hello Readers.

Look at your cookie. Now back to me.
Now back at your cookie. Now back to me.
Sadly, it isn't me.
But if you go to the grocery store and buy some molasses and white chocolate it could taste like it's me.

Look down, back up, where are you?
You're in your kitchen,
making the cookies your cookies could taste like.

What's in your hand? Back at me.
I am, I'm a warm, soft, cookie with those two Christmas flavors that you love.
Look again, the Christmas flavors are now melting in your mouth.
Anything is possible when your cookie tastes like molasses and white chocolate, and not high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils.
I'm on a diabetic horse.

What you'll need:

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for coating cookie dough balls
1/2 cup molasses
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until creamy. Add in the molasses, canola oil, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, and spices, and beat until well combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low, gradually add in the flour. Do not overmix. Stir in the white chocolate chips.

Using a cookie scoop, form the dough into balls and coat in the extra granulated sugar. Place on the prepared cookie sheet, two inches apart. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Printer-friendly
Adapted from: Two Peas & Their Pod

21 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAH This was hilarious- I'm in love with this post! And I'm going to make these FOR SURE

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound and look really really good. I love a soft ginger cookie, and I've never thought about combining them with white chocolate. I checked out the Two Peas site and I have to say I think your cookies look better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks Sue, that's sweet, but I only hope to have a blog as awesome as Maria and Josh's one day! I feel quite inferior compared to talented bloggers like them!

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loooove it. Hfcs and pho's, who needs them?!?!no one! But I think I need one of these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my..you are too funny! I could totally hear his sexy self saying that! Love the cookies. I am a sucker for any type of soft cookie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaahahaha! This cracked me up. Btw, congrats on winning shutterbean's contest!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cookies!! These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I JUST pulled the second tray of these out of the oven. My grocery store was all out of white choc chips, so I used butterscotch chips instead. Hopefully they are delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Butterscotch sounds like an AWESOME substitute! Let me know how you like them! They're seriously my new fave cookie.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hysterical Post! And delicious cookies! I will NEED these baking in my oven sometime soon!
    Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made these this morning. I used grated fresh ginger in place of powdered. The flavor of these is WONDERFUL. However, mine spread A LOT and are quite fragile. I followed the recipe to a 't' with the exception of the ginger.....I used a 2T scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Candace!

    Hmm, that's strange. No problems with spreading here. Did you remember to use the parchment paper? Did you soften your butter in the microwave, or allow it to come to temperature on the counter? Is your baking soda still fresh?

    I'm wondering if the moisture in the fresh ginger could've caused the spreading. Seems like it would be too small of an amount to matter...

    Let me know if you think it could've been caused by the parchment/butter/baking soda issues - I want you to be able to make these without them spreading!

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made these cookies and they are delicious! They came out perfectly, and I even made them in a toaster oven since I live on a train haha (I work for the circus). I love following your blog and trying your great recipes, keep them coming!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chris! Glad you enjoyed them, thanks for letting me know. That's awesome that you work for the circus and still manage to bake!

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm late to the game here but did you chill the cookie dough at all before baking? These cookies look so so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amity - Nope, didn't chill it. I almost always chill my dough, but this didn't need it at all! If you make them, let me know!

      Delete
  16. I made these cookies tonight and seriously cannot stop eating them! Absolutely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo addictive, right?! I only let myself make them at Christmas, so I'm harboring some jealousy over here that you have a batch...

      Enjoy!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio