Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup


Posted by: Maggie

Let me tell you a story about a gal named Bethany.* 

*Totally not her real name.

I used to work with Bethany, and while she was a decent person deep down, she drove me batshizz crazy. Pardon my salty language.

I could probably write a good thirty blog posts about things Bethany did that made me want to put her in a poorly constructed cardboard box and ship her to [redacted state that she desperately wanted to move back to,] but you don't come here for that kind of negativity. Instead, I'm just going to share one Bethany story.

Most people know that it's rude to comment negatively on the appearance of someone's food - particularly while they're eating it. Bethany was not most people. She was blissfully unaware of manners and social mores, and informed me one day that the homemade black bean soup I was enjoying for lunch looked like "runny cow poop." That, my friends, is a direct quote. She then proceeded to talk about cow poop for 5 minutes, while I attempted to tune her out by playing scenes from The Room in my head.

Anyway, the point of me sharing this story is to acknowledge that this soup, at best, looks like regurgitated baby food. I can say that because I made it. I encourage all of you to make it as well because it's spicy, healthy, and gosh-darn delicious, and that's what matters. However, if the Bethany in your life comes into your office while you're eating leftovers for lunch and tells you that it looks like you're eating the sludge from the bottom of a spray tan booth drain, I fully support your right to:

a) pour this soup in her hair
b) punch her in the ears
c) call her a whiny strumpet
d) all of the above

Just don't come crying to me when you're charged with assault.

What you'll need:

15 baby carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes or 3 small ones,) peeled and cubed
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2-4 chipotles in adobo, chopped
2-3 tablespoons adobo sauce, from can of chipotles in adobo
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnishes: sour cream or greek yogurt, pecans

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium low. Add the baby carrots, celery, and onion, and cook for 10 minutes (if they start to stick add in a tablespoon or two of water.) Add in the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.

Add in the sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, chipotles, adobo sauce, and spices. Bring to a boil, then simmer with the lid on for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Remove the soup from heat, and using an immersion blender puree completely. You can probably use a regular blender for this too, but I think you're supposed to let it cool first to avoid a freak steam explosion.

Season to taste with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Garnish with sour cream and/or pecans, and serve. This soup tastes even better the day after making it!

P.S. Christmas present shout-outs! Thanks Emma for the immersion blender, and thanks Annie for the creme brûlée dishes that I repurposed as soup dishes for this photo!

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Homesick Texan

9 comments:

  1. I made a REALLY similar soup for Christmas, adapted from the Rachael Ray recipe. It was so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. People are just...amazing aren't they? This soup sounds delicious, perfect for this time of year. I'm a huge fan of lots of texture in my food but there are many times when I crave something like this, where you can eat it spoonful after spoonful. It's just down-right comforting. :-) Looks awesome, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am sure your runny cow poop was just divine! What a bitch. This sounds delish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Stephanie re: the comfort food factor! We have had a short cold snap here in FL - I know - it's still Florida! - but this would be a nice treat for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious -- unfortunately, it is true that pureed sweet potato (or pumpkin) tends to resemble baby poop (my dear departed grandmother, who never gave a rat's ass about what she said, once made a similar comment about the appearance of a pumpkin pie).

    And don't get me started on others who feel the need to critique others' food with disparaging remarks. I remember all too well a former boss who commented that an item I was eating for lunch looked like "dried hump" (whatever THAT meant). I told her it was delicious and I didn't care what she said.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio