Monday, January 30, 2012

Onion Dip


Posted by: Annie

Oh dip, how I could eat it for every meal. One of my favorite dips has always been French Onion, but I confess - I have always made it from those delicious little Lipton powder packs and mixed with a container of sour cream. This homemade version of onion dip is a delicious and easy replacement, and is a perfect option for any upcoming Super Bowl parties!!

What you will need:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups onions, diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook approximately 20 minutes until caramelized. Remove from heat, and allow onions to cool completely. In a large bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix in cooled onions. Chill for at least one hour for best flavor.

Serve with your favorite pita chips, pretzels, or veggies!

Printer-friendly
Source: Alton Brown

5 comments:

  1. I think the Lipton version rocks! But this looks might tasty too

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic...I didn't realise it was so easy to make! This dip is a favourite in our house but I have always bought it. Thanks for the inspiration to try making it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onion dip is my favorite. I'd choose it over ranch any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we make brats, we usually boil them in a mixture of water, dark ale, and onions, I saved the onions, carmelized them a bit, and then did this, it turned out fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio