Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pepperoni Pizza Dip

Pepperoni Pizza Dip

Posted by: Maggie

Does anyone else out there only care about the Super Bowl for the commercials and the food? Good, me too. This year, I tried valiantly to get into football, only to lose interest 3 weeks into the season. You may remember that I even joined a fantasy football league, only to get fed up with my players' inability to run around for a few hours without injuring themselves. Lame. 

I think one of the big reasons I've always wanted to like it is because some of my favorite movies and television shows involve football - The Blind Side, Remember the Titans, Varsity Blues, and Friday Night Lights to name a few. I've determined that if professional football was shot in slow motion and set to dramatic music I would be super into it. I love Hollywood-generated football. Just not the real kind.

I know the Super Bowl is still almost 2 weeks away, but I wanted to post this recipe far enough advance for you to include it on your game-day menu. This spinach dip recipe used to be my favorite appetizer on the blog until I made this recipe. It is absolutely delicious, and super quick to whip up.

Here's what you'll need:

12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Generous pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup pizza sauce
Pepperoni slices, halved (I didn't measure these, just eyeball how much you want)
3 scallions, green parts thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a mixer, combine cream cheese with spices. Evenly spread mixture in the bottom of a pie plate, and top with half of the mozzarella. Top mozzarella with the pizza sauce, and then layer on the remaining mozzarella.

Top with pepperoni slices and scallions, and bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, and serve with toasted baguette slices or crackers.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Salad in a Jar

12 comments:

  1. Ahh Varsity Blues! I haven't thought about that movie in so long. I once hosted a superbowl party where we ate delicious dips and just watched the commercials. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we don't have Super Bowl here in Australia, we have no lack of football with both the AFL and NRL leagues being HUGE! And this dip would be just as perfect for our football finals as for the Super Bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well unless the Steelers or the Bucs are playing, I only watch for the commercials and attend parties just for the food!!! Love this dip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. perf! seriously...dip is the best...especially one with lots of cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you. Football phooey! I do love our dip recipe. Cannot wait to make this one. Come visit. We linked up a terrific turkey chili to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so making this for my annual Not-a-Super-Bowl-Party...this is a real thing I do, it's just delicious dips and snack foods and whatever movie I feel like watching. I'm not even into the commercials, I'm just the worst at watching sports.
    I saw a recipe similar to this a few months ago and I've been thinking of it since, I cannot wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may actually go to a Super Bowl party this year just so I can make this. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dishes are very tasteful looking... I love your blog!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just saw Guy Fieri make his version of Pepperoni Pizza Dip but it looked way too complicated so Googled to see what else was out there. Found one similar to yours adding 1/2 c. sour cream to the cream cheese. But what I like about yours is adding 1 c. mozzarella as a middle layer before adding the rest on top. The other recipe only used 1/2 c. of cheese just on the top--NOT ENOUGH CHEESE and you just can't have too much cheese (or pepperoni!!) Yours is the one I'll try on Sunday. GO PATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made this for a party and let me tell you it was THE BIGGEST HIT! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds wonderful and such a beautiful presentation. Think I just might have to take this to a Super Bowl Party this year. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio