Monday, February 20, 2012

Blueberry Muffins


Posted by: Maggie

How is it possible that Annie & I don't have a blueberry muffin recipe on here yet? 

We have Apple Cinnamon Butterscotch, Applesauce Oatmeal, Banana Chocolate Chip, Regular Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin Cream Cheese, and Spiced Buttermilk, yet somehow managed to never make the most classic and possibly best beloved muffin out there.

(Sidebar: When I was listing muffins I couldn't help but think of this video and laugh. Bits O' Glass muffin!)

Anyway, one of the great things about this recipe is that it uses frozen blueberries. I generally only buy fresh blueberries during the late spring and summer when they're in season, so this will be a great recipe to have on hand during the winter months when fresh blueberries are all mushy and sour.

There are a few things to be aware of if you make this recipe. The batter is insanely thick, and you will fill your muffin cups to the top. They won't overflow; I promise! Also, my oven typically runs hot, yet I still had to bake these for 31 minutes. Start testing these at 25 minutes, but be aware that they might need quite a bit longer.

Lastly, while I added lemon zest and lemon extract to these, I wouldn't call them a blueberry-lemon muffin. Oftentimes, I think that blueberry muffins are kind of bland and flavorless, so I just wanted to brighten the flavor without making a full-fledged lemon-flavored muffin.

Here's what you'll need for 12 moist, delicious muffins:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 1/4 cups sour cream (I used full-fat)
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
Zest of 1 large lemon
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, vigorously whisk egg for 20 seconds. Pour in sugar, and whisk for 30 seconds. The mixture will be thick. Add the melted butter in 2 additions, and whisk to thoroughly combine. Whisk in the sour cream in 2 additions until combined. Lastly, whisk in the lemon extract and lemon zest.

Add the frozen blueberries to the dry ingredients, and gently toss to coat. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and fold together, just until no large patches of flour remain and the berries are evenly distributed. Don't overmix!

Spray a cookie scoop with non-stick spray, and evenly divide batter among the prepared muffin cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 25-32 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking time. Start checking muffins at 25 minutes. They're done when a skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, and the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven, and immediately turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker, who adapted from Baking Illustrated

7 comments:

  1. I completely forgot about the muffin video!! Totally going to watch it now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, looks good. I love blueberry muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quintessential muffin...glad you shared your recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a browned butter blueberry muffin recipe that I love. These look terrific as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look fabulous! I haven't tried making them with frozen blueberries before, but now I'll definitely have to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our favorite blueberry muffin recipe is here! That ancient vid still makes me smile. :) Gotta rescue my bananas and with that I must try your Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe. Thanks, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love blueberry muffins! What a great idea to use frozen blueberries instead and I love the addition of the lemon extract. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio