Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chicken Diablo

chicken diablo

Posted by: Maggie

You guys...

I did something really, really, really dumb.

I gave up dessert for Lent.

As I've gotten older, my sweet tooth has significantly lessened, but apparently not to the point where 40 dessert-free days and nights will be easy. As I type this blog post on Monday night, I am majorly jonesing for some ice cream. I know it's supposed to be a sacrifice, but dude...unfulfilled ice cream cravings suck.

Fortunately, I can still cook delicious things like this Chicken Diablo over the upcoming weeks. I know it doesn't look like anything special, but it is probably one of my favorite dinner recipes that I've posted on here. I hate bland food and under-seasoned food, and this is anything but! I'm planning on making it again sometime soon with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, to make it a bit healthier.

Here's what you'll need:

1/2 cup Frank's hot pepper sauce
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
Sliced scallions, to taste
Cooked white rice, for serving

Combine pepper sauce, sour cream, ketchup, honey, paprika, and cumin in a medium bowl, and whisk well to combine.

Place chicken in a shallow dish, and pour half the sauce over the top, turning to coat. Cover, and place in the fridge for 2 hours to marinate. Cover the remaining sauce and store in the fridge.

Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove chicken from marinade, and place in the skillet (discard extra marinade.) Cook until browned and cooked through, turning frequently, for about 15-20 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, heat the remaining sauce in a small saucepan on low, until warmed.

To serve, scoop rice onto a plate, top with chicken, sauce, and scallions. Eat. Drool. Repeat.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Bev Cooks

15 comments:

  1. Oohh, I so could not give up desserts for Lent. I love making (and eating) treats too much! Anyhoo, this chicken dish looks superb!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I typed this post yesterday and I am STILL craving dessert. Haven't given in though :)

      Delete
  2. Rather than give something up I committed to walking every day during Lent. No exceptions.
    Can't hurt, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I might have to try that next year.

      Delete
  3. That looks fantastic. Great picture. Good luck with the no dessert during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's still to be determined if Tastespotting and Foodgawker agree with you on the picture :)

      Delete
  4. OOOh tasty! Perhaps dinner tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the chicken looks great! I love anything with Frank's in it. I admire you for giving up sweets. That must be tough,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave up sweets for lent, too! I can't wait until April 5...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too, Gave up desserts for lent. Meaning cakes cookies pies etc.
    Thanks for this Chicken recipe. Looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THERE IS NO WAY I could give up dessert! Yummy chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tried it, delicious --- thanks for posting....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, good luck giving up the sweets! Looks like such a yummy way to enjoy chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey quick question! I hate spicy things do you think that I should halve the hot sauce in the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think this was very spicy, but if you're worried, start with half the hot sauce, and just give it a taste before you marinate the chicken. The sour cream and the honey really tame any possible mouth burning effects of the hot sauce, so unless you're super duper sensitive I think you'll be fine putting the full 1/2 cup in.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio