Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Posted by: Annie

This is my least favorite part of the year. I feel guilty saying that there are actually months of time that I dislike, but in all honesty, I feel that February and March just drag on and on. On top of my dislike of the long winter months, I have also been struggling with repetitive dinner choices. Since moving in with Scott, I have been struggling with how "Scott-centric" our dinners have become. Clearly, I love chicken wings as much as the next gal, but I have eaten probably close to 100 chicken wings since January and I have been craving some variety in my dinner (sorry Scott!) 

In my effort to make some "Annie-centric" dinners, I have been looking for some meals that I can make ahead of time and simply reheat when I get home. This Chicken Tortilla soup was the perfect antidote to the food rut I felt I was in. Now if only I could fast-forward to April...

What you will need:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup white onion, diced
1/4 cup Anaheim pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked, and chopped into bite sized pieces
3 (6-inch) corn tortillas, diced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup diced canned tomatoes
8 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
Tortilla strips for garnish

In a large pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat, and add in onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook gradually, for approximately 15 minutes, or until the onions appear translucent. In a separate large bowl, whisk corn starch and chicken broth together. Add the broth mixture, chicken, corn tortillas, lime juice, tomatoes, cheese, and spices into the pan. Increase heat to medium-high and stir constantly until the cheese has melted. When the cheese is melted and the soup begins to bubble, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Top with tortilla strips, and enjoy!

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Feb and March being my least favorite part of the year, and I get into a husband favorite meal rut. This sounds like a delicious antidote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny....here is Australia we generally feel that July and August drag on a bit as we're waiting for winter to move on :)

    The soup sounds great though and at least some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure my hubby feels like you do. I'm picky so we can easily get into a meal rut. Chicken tortilla soup sounds delicious. Especially on a cold day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! My kind of lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soup is ALWAYS a good way to make yourself feel better and get out of a rut - this looks so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big soup person, but this looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this soup! Just discussing with my roommate about how we should have the ingredients on hand at all times. Also, My name is Annie and my twin sister's name is Maggie. Funny! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio