Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache


Posted by: Annie

Boxed cake mixes, boy do you confuse me. I am not supposed to like you, because as someone who enjoys baking I should make everything in the world from scratch (ha!), but when you make a cake as good as this, I must buy you and use you over and over and over again.

I do not exaggerate when I say that this chocolate cake does not taste like anything that comes from a mix. Granted, it is very "jazzed up," but as someone who enjoys the homemade, I always become a little nervous when I see a mix in a recipe. Well, my judgments are over when it comes to this awesome cake! I discovered the recipe back in January and made it for Scott's 30th birthday, and I have made it two additional times since then! It tastes good alone, with ice cream, heated up, from the fridge, and of course as a breakfast treat!

What you will need:

For the cake: 

1 box cake mix (I use Devil's Food Cake)
1 box (3.5 ounces) instant chocolate pudding
2 cups sour cream
3 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 
3/4 cup mini-chocolate chips (for garnish) 

For the ganache:

6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. 

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, pudding, sour cream, eggs, oil and water on medium speed, until well combined. Next, fold fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan, and bake for 50-55 minutes.

Cool cake on a wire rack for fifteen minutes. 

While the cake is cooling, place chocolate and butter in a medium bowl. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan, and bring the cream just to a boil. Pour cream over the chocolate and butter, and stir until smooth.

Once cake is cooled, pour the ganache over the top of the cake and either allow to drizzle down the sides, or spread with a rubber spatula to smooth. (I have done it both ways, and both are equally delish!) Top with mini chocolate chips. 

Source: adapted from That's So Yummy 

8 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic!! I rarely use boxed mixes but I might just break my rule for this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just can't beat a box mix base...those chemicals know what they're doing :) This looks so chocolatey and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goood lord. That looks immense. Quite want to eat my computer screen... :)

    http://teenytastytriumphs.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, chocolate cake. This looks heavenly. I'm so glad Maggie commented on my blog so I could find yours--especially when it includes recipes like this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never use boxed mixes either but this looks so so so so so sinfully good. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I could eat this entire cake. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really easy and yet unique! Thanks can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this cake this evening. I forgot to grab more sour cream and only had a little under a cup and a half of light sour cream left, so I added a 1/2 cup of buttermilk to my sour cream. It turned out great! So moist and delicious! It was good warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but even better as a thin slice once it cooled off! Reminds of a lot of Otis Spunkmeyer Chocolate-chocolate chip muffins.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio