Friday, March 23, 2012

Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa


Posted by: Maggie

Neither of us has posted in over a week. Sorry guys, just chalk it up to a bout of kitchen laziness. My life is generally uneventful and boring, but here's what I've been doing since last Thursday. 

1. Jeff and I got in a car crash. We're both totally fine, as were the passengers of the other car, but his car is not. It turns out that Ford Focuses crumple like tin cans when struck by another vehicle. This occurred on Saturday, while we were on our way to St. Patrick's Day festivities in DC.

We stood on a busy road in Arlington for an hour decked out in green garb while dealing with police and firemen. Yes, firemen. Smoke was billowing out from under Jeff's hood, and radiator fluid was oozing all over Washington Boulevard, which apparently made our situation a fire department matter.

Needless to say, our festivities were canceled, and St. Patrick's Day 2012 marked the first time in 9 years that I did not indulge in many green beers. (Mom and Dad, don't do the math...) We went bowling that night after he got all the insurance stuff squared away, where I bowled a 68. Just call me The Dude.

2. I watched the movie Young Adult. You know how sometimes movie trailers are totally misrepresentative of what the movie is actually like? (The Family Stone, I'm looking at you...) Holy crap, was this ever the case with Young Adult. I thought I was in for an entertaining movie about Charlize Theron acting like a FUNNY hot mess when returning to her hometown. Instead I got a depressing movie about Charlize Theron acting like an un-funny hot mess with narcissistic personality disorder. The movie was good, and definitely worth watching. But seriously, I wanted to drink myself into a stupor and slit my wrists when the thing was over.

3. While that movie was not about a high school reunion, it did involve the main character returning to her hometown after many years. My 10th high school reunion has officially been scheduled for this September. I haven't kept in touch with anyone I graduated with, so if I went I'd kind of be the Heather Mooney of the reunion, minus the all-black wardrobe and smoking habit. Has anyone gone to a reunion after not talking to high school people for years and years? Was it weird? I don't really understand the point of reunions now that Facebook exists.

4. I took Jeff to a birthday dinner at Ford's Fish Shack. I ate this lobster roll, and almost cried when it was gone.


5. I'm having brunch with Monique tomorrow! We've never met in person, so it's like a blind blogger date. We're heading to Founding Farmers, which I am extremely excited to try. (P.S. She's having a giveaway on her site today!) 

6. I made this chicken recipe. I hope I'm not boring you with the last few healthy recipes that I've posted. I have to be in a bridesmaid dress in 4 weeks for my lovely friend Julie's wedding down in North Carolina, and would like to ensure that it zips! 

While this recipe is healthy, it's also super-duper tasty. Even if the avocado salsa isn't your thing, you should try the chicken marinade. I only let my chicken soak for about 20 minutes, and it was still really flavorful. Although, if avocado salsa isn't your thing, I'm not sure that we can be friends. Just kidding, but seriously, learn to love avocados. 

Have a great weekend everyone! 

Here's what you'll need:

For the chicken:

2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 small boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves
Cooking spray

For the salsa:

1 cup chopped plum tomato (about 2)
2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
3-4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 
Pinch of pepper
Avocado, peeled and chopped

For the chicken, add the first 3 ingredients to a bowl, and whisk to combine. Add the chicken, turn to coat, and place in the fridge for 20 minutes. 

While the chicken is marinating, prepare the salsa. Combine the tomato, yellow onion, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine.  Gently stir in the avocado. 

Coat a frying pan with cooking spray, and heat to medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add your chicken and cook for one minute on each side. Lower the heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 6-9 minutes, turning frequently, or until chicken is cooked through and 160 degrees in the middle. 

Top chicken with salsa, and serve with yellow rice (I just used the Goya stuff.) 

Source: Adapted from Cooking Light

13 comments:

  1. Glad you guys are ok and glad I don't own a Ford Focus. So scary when your car crumples up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post had me laughing out loud. Not about the car crash, of course, but the other things! I heard a lot of people were disappointed by how different Young Adult was from what they expected. I like dramedies like that, though, so I'm pretty sure I'd like it.

    This recipe looks fantastic! I would just nix the cilantro, though, because in my opinion it is the devil's herb spawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh... Glad your ok. Car accidents are never fun :( on a good note, this chicken sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least you are both ok...the car not so much..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, that lobster roll and your salsa sound great! So glad you guys are ok too, car crashes are scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your car crash--that must have been a horrible experience :( Glad that you are back on your feet though! I am a noted avocado addict, and this salsa looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In response to a number of things:

    1.) I haven't kept in touch with anyone from high school and I'm pretty sure our first reunion is year. I'm pretty sure I don't really care to see anyone who will be there, but I am definitely skinnier/hotter than I was in high school, so I feel like I should capitalize on that while it lasts.

    2.)Yippee for blogger blind dates! So much fun.

    3.)I appreciate the healthy recipes - I'm in my best friend's wedding in June, so I've gotta stay slim, too! And anyone who doesn't like want their avocado salsa can give theirs to me...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your less then perfect st patrick's day!! At least you're both OK... However, that recipe looks delicious!! And I will be making your salsa to go with chicken fajitas tomorrow, yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet the avocado salsa was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Maggie, I'm glad you guys are okay! That's really scary. St. Patrick's Day seems like a day for car accidents. My mom was in an accident a few years ago, and her car was totaled.

    Have fun with Monique! I'm jealous you guys get to hang out. I wish I had real life blogger friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are both doing okay. Wawa for the car though! Time for a new one. Yeah. This recipe looks great. I am making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it would be super helpful if you would add how many servings your recipes have. This one is easy with the number of breasts, but some of the soups and other recipes, would be great with a guideline to follow! Thanks for sharing, this looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Oftentimes they're not there because a serving size can vary so much based on appetite. For example, I might consider a 9x13 pan of baked mac and cheese to be 8 servings, but a parent feeding 2 teenaged boys might only get 2 or 3. So, in some cases it feels pointless to me to include it, while in other cases I just forget!

      I'll try and remember for stuff like soups! My big recipe pet peeve is when a website posts a cupcake recipe and doesn't specify how many it makes, so I really have no excuse :)

      If you have any questions regarding servings for a specific recipe, feel free to shoot me an email anytime!

      Maggie

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio