Friday, March 2, 2012

Gooey Butter Cake


Posted by: Annie

There are certain foods I find incredibly addicting, and sadly these foods do not last more than 24 hours when they are in my house. Some of these foods include ice cream, guacamole, any sort of dip, and now I have to add Gooey Butter Cake to the list. I brought Gooey Butter Cake to work and had to physically remove it from my classroom so I would not eat all of them at lunch. The cake is gooey (obviously,) rich, and is just mouthful after mouthful of buttery goodness. If you have self-control and/or lots of people to share desserts with, make this immediately! 

What foods do you find addicting?

What you will need:

Bottom layer:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 tablespoons whole milk

Top layer:

8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter (melted)
16 ounce box powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add in egg, butter, and milk, and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Press dough into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until it is smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, and butter, and mix until well combined. Gradually add in powdered sugar until thoroughly mixed and the batter is smooth. Pour on top of the bottom layer in the prepared pan and spread evenly.

Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Remove from the oven (even if it still looks a little undercooked) and allow to cool completely before cutting. Top with additional powdered sugar, if desired.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Gingerbread Bagels and Paula Deen

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this looks dangerous!!! Pretty sure I would eat the entire thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything from Paula Deen is going to be delicious so I've got to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMMM......Buttercake! My Sister in Law makes these at her bakery and has something like 24 different flavors including butter pecan and cookies and cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this yesterday for my daughter's 14th birthday - It was fantastic! A big hit!! I will be making this again. and again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake looks realllly good! Have you girls thought of linking your recipes to ZipList? A few food blogs I follow have done that and it makes it sooo nice to send the recipes straight to my phone so I can try them at home and dont have to worry about printing the recipe out. Just a thought. BTW I love your recipes! They all look so tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your recipes and the funny stories... Thank you for posting them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love butter cake and use your bottom recipe with another version for the top without cream cheese (philly version). for the bottom, do you use salted or unsalted butter?

    here is my top recipe:

    For the Topping: ½ lb unsalted butter (2 sticks)
    1 cup flour
    2 cups extra finely granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    4-5 T. milk
    can also add vanilla (optional but I like to)

    Cream butter. Stir together flour and sugar. Gradually beat sugar/flour mixture into butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk by teaspoonful to bring the mixture to an easy spreading consistency. Do not make it too runny. let topping rest after putting on top in the pan for 20 minutes before baking. bake at 375 for about 30 mins. (yours is 350 for 40 mins. not sure which is better???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I'm actually not sure. My sister posted this recipe back when she and I used to blog together, and unfortunately I doubt she remembers...I don't think it matters too much though! Just go with whatever you have on hand :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio