Thursday, March 15, 2012

Maple-Glazed Salmon with Pineapple


Posted by: Maggie

The weather has been insanely gorgeous here in Virginia over the past several days. Temperatures have been in the low 70s, with bright sunny skies and no humidity to speak of.

I'm trying really hard to enjoy this weather, and to ignore the thoughts of the 95-degree days and humidity that await this area of the country in just a couple short months. For those of you who don't know, I live in Northern Virginia, a few miles outside of Washington, DC. There is a popular misconception that our lovely city was built on a swamp, and while it's technically untrue, it certainly feels accurate from May through September each year. You literally can't walk a block before you start sweating like a whore in church. It's terrible. After 5 summers here, my coping mechanisms include sundresses, ponytails, and copious amounts of cold showering, whining, and complaining. I'm a delight to be around - believe me.

In the interest of celebrating this brief period of nice weather, I wanted to make something light and fresh, instead of the soup recipe that I'd planned to make. I pinned this recipe from Real Simple several weeks ago, and thought it fit the bill perfectly. The original recipe suggests serving this with white rice, which was part of my plan, until I burnt it to an inedible crisp. Oops.

Here's what you'll need:

1/2 cup maple syrup (the real stuff, not pancake syrup!)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 6-ounce salmon fillets
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped

Preheat your broiler.

Add maple syrup and mustard to a small saucepan, and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool and thicken for 10 minutes.

Line a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil, and place salmon fillets in the pan, skin side down. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter pineapple and jalapeño around the fish.

Transfer half of the maple dijon glaze to a small container, and brush the remaining half over the fish, discarding any that is leftover. Broil fish for 7-10 minutes, or until it flakes easily and is cooked throughout. My fish was still slightly frozen in the center when I started to cook, so mine took longer than 10 minutes. Start checking for doneness around 7 minutes, because overcooked salmon is dry and icky!

Serve the salmon with the reserved glaze for drizzling.

Printer-friendly
Source: Real Simple

8 comments:

  1. We made this last night! It was ... interesting!
    We love pineapple, and salmon, and maple syrup - and mustard! But don't know if the sweet fish got a little too sweet from the glaze. Maybe we should've had some more zingy mustard?

    I love your blog! So please keep it up, and don't mind me failing at replicating your fantastic picturesque recipes! Have a good one! Love, from Norway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tora - Sorry that you didn't love it! It's definitely a very sweet glaze (which I really enjoyed about it.) I have a recipe on here for Moroccan salmon that you might like better if you prefer savory flavors. You should try it sometime!

      Thanks for reading :)

      - Maggie

      Delete
  2. I had a salmon burger that looked almost just like this (with a bun, of course) in Cali, and it rocked my world! Can't wait to sip some chilly wine and try this salmon out on one of these gorgeous Spring nights coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, I love salmon burgers, although I've never made them! This would definitely be delicious with wine!

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious! Love yourpictures. Come visit us today. We are giving away 3 wonderful charm bracelets from Cutey. They are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, it's already hot down here ..no fun..love this dinner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I LOVE maple glazed salmon but have never added pineapple and jalapeno. Can't wait to try this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was soooooooo good! I had to share with all of my adoring fans...or, really, just a couple of people. :) But I linked back to you because that just wouldn't be cool if I didn't. Thanks again for sharing this recipe! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio