Friday, March 9, 2012

Orecchiette with Peas, Shrimp, and Buttermilk-Herb Dressing


Posted by: Maggie

I decided after making this pasta salad that fresh dill is my favorite smell in the world. I know I should be telling you how delicious this pasta salad tasted, but I'm really more into talking about the smell. It is intoxicatingly delicious. 

You know how dumb teenagers huff paint and glue? Well, I'm about to start huffing dill. Can someone please turn this scent into a candle or an air-freshener so I can stop making idiotic statements like that? I'm obsessed. 

I'll stop waxing poetic about the smell of dill for 5 seconds to tell you that this pasta salad is not only delicious, but low-fat! The dressing is made of light mayo, cut with some fat-free buttermilk and an epic amount of fresh herbs, instead of straight-up regular mayo, like most pasta salads. This takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to make, including the time it takes for the water to boil. Stupendously easy!

Off to go stick my head in the fridge to sniff the leftover dill...please send help. 

Here's what you'll need:

8 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta 
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined 
1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions (omitting salt.) During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add peas and shrimp. Drain, and rinse well with cold water. 

In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, buttermilk, chives, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, cayenne, garlic, salt, and pepper. 

Transfer pasta mixture to a large bowl. Pour dressing onto the pasta, and toss to combine. This is delicious served at room temperature, or chilled. 

Source: Adapted from Cooking Light: Best Low-Fat Main Dishes

9 comments:

  1. The sauce looks so creamy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg how amazingly simple! I'm sooo trying out this recipe as soon as I can.

    Btw I seriously love this blog and all the recipes here. I am so lazy when it comes to to cooking a good home cooked meal but this is seriously compelling me to finally try all these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If you try anything from the blog please let us know if you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. Funny enough, I would love everything about this EXCEPT the dill :) Definitely a must try, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and my co-blogger both dislike dill. She actually made this after I posted it, and ended up HATING it because she didn't realize that she wasn't a dill fan. I felt awful! I know there are a lot of cilantro haters out there, but I thought dill was universally beloved!

      Delete
  4. Am I the only one who laughed and thought it was a drug-related reference when you said you "cut" the dressing with low-fat mayo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha, I am usually the first to "go there" so to speak when it comes to inappropriate references, and I didn't even think of that one...don't worry, my drug of choice is caffeine! This dressing is totally safe!

      Delete
  5. I tried this recipe and it was sooo delicious!! I love this blog. Thank you very much =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio