Wednesday, April 25, 2012

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches


Posted by: Maggie

As promised yesterday, I'm not leaving you with a BBQ sauce recipe and no meat to slather it on! 

My birthday was last week, and my mom got me a beautiful, green, 8-quart, Le Creuset pot. I knew I needed to make something extra delicious to christen it, and after much internal debate between short ribs and pulled pork, I settled on the pulled pork.

Don't be intimidated by the fact that this recipe takes 6 hours - most of that is inactive time, and this recipe is actually extremely simple. Just pop this in the oven early on a Saturday afternoon, and it will be ready in time for dinner; plus you'll have lots of delicious leftovers!

Here's what you'll need:

For the dry rub:

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
1/2 tablespoon cayenne

For the pork:

4 pound shoulder pork roast
2 cups apple juice
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

For serving:

Hamburger buns
Homemade Kansas City-Style BBQ Sauce

Rinse the pork under cool running water, and pat dry. Combine all the dry rub ingredients in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the dry rub all over the roast, pressing into the pork to throughly coat. Place pork on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Combine liquid ingredients and garlic powder in a large bowl, and pour into a large dutch oven. Place pork in the dutch oven, cover tightly with foil, and place lid on top. Roast for 4 hours in preheated oven, or until the pork is fork tender and shreds easily. Every hour, brush the roast with cooking liquid.

Remove from oven and shred with two forks when the roast is cool enough to handle. Serve on hamburger buns with BBQ sauce.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Paula Deen

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, they're not homemade or anything - they came from Whole Foods!

      Delete
  2. Mmm, homemade BBQ sauce is the best and pulled pork sounds like the perfect way to use your new pot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pulled pork so much -- it is ridiculous. Honestly, I could eat it for every meal of every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie

    I've noticed that you did not use the 1/2 tablespoon of liquid smoke that paula used in her recipe, is there a reason for this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maggie

    I've noticed that you did not use the 1/2 tablespoon of liquid smoke that paula used in her recipe, is there a reason for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie! I intentionally left it out. I bought a bottle of liquid smoke at my grocery store right before making this recipe, and when I went to use it the tamper-seal had been opened, so I didn't want to risk using it.

      I write recipes on here exactly as I made them, so I didn't include the liquid smoke above. Itwas excellent without, but feel free to use it!

      Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds delicious! I must try your BBQ sauce!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio