Thursday, April 5, 2012

Blackened Tilapia


Posted by: Maggie

When I made this recipe Tuesday night, I wasn't entirely sure that I was going to post it. I snapped a quick photo before digging in, and almost immediately regretted that I didn't try harder to get a great picture. It's hard to believe that something so simple could taste so incredibly delicious. 

Tilapia has never been my first choice when it comes to seafood - give me salmon, cod, or shrimp any day. This has made a tilapia lover out of me, and it certainly doesn't hurt that it's far less expensive than salmon!

This is a great weeknight recipe, since it literally takes minutes to prepare. I actually measured out all the seasonings and stuck them in a sandwich bag Monday night, so they were all ready to go when I fixed dinner on Tuesday. Easy-peasy.

Here's what you'll need:

For the blackening seasoning:

3 tablespoons smoked paprika (don't sub regular paprika)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

For the fish:

1 pound tilapia fillets
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or another oil with a high smoke point if you can't find it)
Lemon slices

Mix together ingredients for blackening seasoning in a sandwich bag, and shake to thoroughly combine.

Rinse and thoroughly pat dry tilapia. Press a heaping tablespoon of the seasoning over both sides of the fillets, until liberally coated (you will probably have some seasoning left over.) Let the fish to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before cooking.

In a large skillet, heat grapeseed oil over medium-high heat. When the oil barely starts to smoke, add the fish. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Squeeze lemon over each piece of fish, and serve immediately with lots of tartar sauce, extra lemon, and coleslaw!

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from The Food Network

10 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I love all types of fish, so I'll have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture looks great - I mean you could see how wonderfully charred the tilapia is! And that coleslaw bowl is absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I randomly found it at the grocery store a few weeks ago. Not sure what it's really meant for haha.

      Delete
  3. Tilapia is one of my favorites fishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely turning into one of my faves as well!

      Delete
  4. Look at that blackened seasoning! This looks delish. I'm usually a shrimp girl myself, but this looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its so annoying that none in my family likes seafood. This looks so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio