Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bourbon Banana Bread with Pecans and Dark Chocolate


Posted by: Maggie

Happy belated Easter! Lent is over! As you may remember, I gave up dessert for Lent, which kind of morphed into me giving up baking in general, including non-dessert items like banana bread.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did slip up once during Lent.

Alright, twice.

OKAY. Four times.

I had really good excuses though. I co-hosted a bridal shower, and couldn't resist a slice of cake. Look at it, could you resist? For those in the DC/Northern Virginia area - it came from Pastries by Randolph, which I highly recommend.


I also had cake on Jeff's birthday and my mom's birthday. I also completely forgot about Lent once halfway through, and had a bag of peanut M&Ms when I was deliriously hungry at a comedy show with Jeff. 

Long story short, I suck, but I made a valiant effort. I really missed baking though, particularly since I bought a copy of Joy the Baker's debut cookbook shortly into Lent. Helloooo, 208 pages of torture. I read the cookbook straight through like a novel, and bookmarked about 75% of the recipes. This recipe particularly stood out to me because I love banana bread, and love bourbon, but never thought to smoosh them together. Unsurprisingly, the results were amahhhzing. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to taste the bourbon in the final product, but it's definitely there. It's not overpowering enough to bother someone who doesn't like bourbon, but the flavor is strong enough for those of us who do enjoy it. 

By the way, like the new look of A Bitchin' Kitchen?! I was getting really annoyed with the standard template we were using before, because our pictures had to be small and/or square to fit properly on the page. I'm super excited that we can post larger, properly-cropped photos now. Thanks, Delicious Design Studio! If you're reading this in an RSS reader, click over to check out our new look! Hope you guys like it!

Here's what you'll need:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons bourbon
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan, or spray it with a cooking spray that contains flour (I tried it for the first time with this recipe and I'm in love. Sooo easy.) Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, and beat between each addition for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat in mashed bananas, lemon juice, and bourbon until fully incorporated. 

Add in the flour mixture all at once, and slowly mix in until just combined. Fold in pecans and chocolate with a rubber spatula. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-65 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean (don't mistake a banana chunk for raw batter and over-bake it!) 

Cool bread in pan for 25 minutes before inverting on a wire rack to cool completely. 

25 comments:

  1. You only slipped up 4 times? I'm impressed. I would've given up on the 2nd day.

    I've bookmarked this recipe too! Your bread came out looking incredibly fluffy.

    Btw nice cake stand :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, believe me...I was considering admitting defeat by the end of the 1st day :)

      That's right! You have the same cake stand!

      Delete
  2. 4 times only. that's good!!! This sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! It definitely was scrumptious!

      Delete
  3. I've had my eye on that recipe for a while, too. Joy's cookbook is just amazing - I'm baking something from it every time I turn around! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first thing I baked from it, and I can't wait to try some other stuff...I'm thinking something from her pancake section!

      Delete
  4. Looks fantastic! I need to make this very soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shea! You definitely do need to make it!

      Delete
  5. Love the new look! My husband would go nuts over that bourbon banana bread!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - I'm thrilled with the look :)

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing! I have book club at my house this week so I am definitely making this recipe. Love your blog and I am your newest follower. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was an English major and spent 4 years of college discussing books, so I've always avoided book clubs...but I'd totally go and stuff my face with this bread. I'm sure your book club members will love it!

      Delete
  7. Oh heaven help me that looks so delicious! The perfect snack, breakfast, dessert........ YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES to breakfast. Totally an excuse to have bourbon in the morning.

      Delete
  8. Whoa, this is one helluva banana bread! Next time I'm spiking mine with a little bourbon and chocolate, too! Looks absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would make this purely on the name alone. Fantastic recipe, ladies :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - that's exactly the reason I was drawn to it. I have a thing for recipes with bourbon right in the title...

      Delete
  10. Oh my word your banana bread looks amazing!!! Love the addition of the bourbon, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't have made it. That bourbon banana bread looks fantastic. I really want some banana bread now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, it was definitely a challenge!

      Delete
  12. Chocolate, nuts, and bourbon??!! Oh my, sounds perfect for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this recipe today and it was DELICIOUS! My 90 father went crazy for it. The only thing I did differently and thank GOD it worked...I substituted the flour and used organic whole wheat flour. I cut the flour measurement to 1 and 1/4 cups and added 1/4 cup of water. I guess that whole wheat flour can be pretty dense so it is always recommended to cut the measurement and add liquid! It was right on and I was so freaking excited!! This recipe is so incredibly moist with so much flavor! (I also threw in a teaspoon of cinnamon) When the recipe called for no baking soda and a whole tablespoon of baking powder, I thought you were on crack but it totally worked!!! Thanks for sharing this because it will be my staple giveaway to "good" friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for letting me know it works well with whole wheat flour - I've never baked with it before, but it would be nice to make this recipe at least slightly healthy :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio