Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Double Dark Chocolate Yogurt Muffins


Hi everyone! Sorry for the brief posting hiatus. It's extremely important to me that I only share recipes here that I love and that I know work well, so after two recipe fails last week I had no new material. Plus, I've been out of town for a few days sans laptop, and as much as I love my iPad, writing one of my long-winded blog posts on it was just not going to happen. 

After being gone from A Bitchin' Kitchen for 15 days, I knew I needed to come back with something extra awesome. I'd originally planned to make strawberry muffins, but when I got to the grocery store the strawberries were all moldy and rotting. Lovely. I don't even know why I bother trying to buy produce at stores other than Wegmans or Whole Foods. First world problems, I know. With no other recipe in mind, I quickly pulled up my Pinterest account on my phone and came across this recipe for double chocolate muffins

Dude. These were so delicious. Thank God for moldy strawberries! 

I'm still going to make strawberry muffins once I can get my hands on some decent fruit, but I was almost grateful that my plans were foiled once I ate one of these. They're incredibly tender and rich, and they're not even terribly bad for you thanks to the non-fat Greek yogurt. Don't forget that dark chocolate is full of antioxidants. These are practically health food. 

Lastly, as you may have read on Saturday, my co-blogger/sister Annie has made the sad decision to leave the blog. You can read more about her decision here. While I'm bummed, I'm very glad that she'll still be around for a guest post now and then!

Here's what you'll need for 15 standard-sized muffins:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (I'm a Fage devotee) 
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and prepare cupcake pans with paper liners. 

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir in sugar, and set aside. 

In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together yogurt, eggs, vanilla, and oil. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. 

Using a 1/4 cup measure, divide batter evenly among paper liners. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched, and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert on wire rack to cool completely. 

Source: Adapted from Knead to Cook 

14 comments:

  1. You should head out to your local Farmer's Market. Strawberries are in season in most locations and they are so much better fresh from the farm than the grocery store. Of course, I may be a little biased as I am a vendor at our local market but who doesn't love fresh goodies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking I need to try that...now if only I could get up early enough on a Saturday :)

      Delete
  2. Love dark chocolate!! I am actually probably going to try these tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! They're sooo good, I'm sure you'll love them!

      Delete
  3. These look delicious, and I love that they use yogurt! Looking forward to those strawberry muffins too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! Def. going to make them soon!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad the strawberries were moldy because these look fantastic. You could even throw some strawberries in these next time. I'm bookmarking these to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea! I love chocolate covered strawberries, so it totally makes sense!

      Delete
  5. these look amazing! so awesomely chocolately. i love stuff like this because they'd be great for breakfast, or an afternoon snack, or even an after-dinner sweet. NOM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, these have definitely been a dessert a couple times this week!

      Delete
  6. Mmm I love chocolate muffins. Love the addition of the Greek yogurt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, yum!! I am bookmarking these riiiight now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've baked these twice! Very chocolatey and moist! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio