Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Green Chili Cheeseburgers


Hellooooooo, new favorite burger! For a long time, this blue cheese burger was number one in the place in my heart reserved for burger love. While it will always be a favorite, it has been bumped to make room for this.

What you see here is a perfectly seasoned burger patty with cheese and chilis mixed right into the meat, topped with a big hunk of monterey jack, and finally a honey-lime-green chili mixture. Usually, I like a lot of condiments on my burger - ketchup, mustard, mayo, and sometimes even ranch dressing makes an appearance. This doesn't need any help from condiments. The flavors are so spot-on that adding ketchup would be downright sinful...and not in the good way.

This recipe makes 4 burgers. I froze 2 of them for future dinners, an am trying to decide what to do with the rest of the green chili sauce. Thoughts anyone? I'm thinking it might be good in an omelette with some of my leftover Monterey Jack cheese.

Here's what you'll need:

1 pound ground beef (85/15 or 80/20)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilis, divided 
1.5 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into tiny cubes, plus more for topping burgers 
2 teaspoons honey 
Juice of half a lime
4 tablespoons grapeseed oil 
4 Kaiser rolls, toasted

In a bowl, gently combine ground beef, salt, pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic cloves, half a can of green chilis, and cheese cubes. Form into 4 even patties, wrap individually in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. 

In a small bowl, combine the remaining chilis, honey, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use. 

To cook the burgers, heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers to desired doneness (mine took about 8 minutes to be medium-well/well-doneish), topping with cheese and covering pan with lid during the last minute of cooking. 

When ready to serve, top burgers with green chili sauce, place on a toasted bun, and enjoy! 

Source: Adapted from How Sweet It Is

13 comments:

  1. i made the original version from how sweet eats a few weeks ago (with chicken) + loved them! sounds like they turned out fab with beef as well - must try 'em this way soon! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love green chiles more than anything. The boyfriend is going to be so thrilled when I make this for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That just looks so delicious! I wonder where I can get Jack cheese...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Do you live in the U.S? I just buy a big block of it in the dairy section of my grocery store!

      Delete
  4. Wow.. these sound delicious! Jack Cheese is soooo good on any burger..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing! Your photography makes this look super appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I actually wasn't super happy with this photo since I had almost no daylight left for it. Glad to hear that it's deliciousness comes through in the photo anyway :)

      Delete
  6. I'm officially burger craving now! This looks like it should be in front of me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new look. Very nice. This burger looks terrific too. I cannot wait to give it a try! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuuum, you're making me crave a burger! Love this flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. green chile burgers are my husbands favorite! these look so good and I bet that sauce was/would be amazing with eggs and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maggie, These sounds and look amazing! I would love for you to share this, and any other recipes you would like to, at my Creative Thursday link party at: www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fab! I'll definitely be trying this recipe from my kitchen in England!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio