Monday, June 18, 2012

Blackberry Cornbread


I had a moment today where I realized that my taste is....well, questionable. Allow me to explain.

Exhibit A:

I have listened to this song about 400 times over the past month. Roughly 10-15 of those times occurred this morning during the two hours that I spent getting ready for work. I'm sure you've all heard it at this point, but just in case you haven't, have yourself a listen:



It's one of those songs that is just so awful and contrived, yet somehow manages to be completely addictive. I just have one issue with it...given our text-happy, phone-fearing culture, I feel like the song would kind of make more sense if it was "Text Me Maybe." Seriously. Side note: how can I get pigtails like Carly Rae's at 1:05? I have enough hair for about 4 people, and I look more like The Bad Seed when I attempt that hair-do.

Exhibit B:

I'm typing this post while watching The Bachelorette. With the exception of maybe Jerry Springer, Maury, and Cheaters, this show is the epitome of bad taste, yet I can't look away. Anyone else on team Sean?!! Arie is a close second.

Exhibit C:

I'm currently drinking this:


(Pardon my naked nails...)

It's a margarita malt beverage. I don't think I need to say anything else.

I would like to reassure all of you all that despite my seemingly questionable tastes, this cornbread is straight-up good taste. I ate some as a snack yesterday, and a piece for breakfast this morning. I'm tempted to have a piece for dessert right now. It's an anytime of day kind of treat, and is a stupendous way to use one of my favorite summer fruits.

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups blackberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square glass baking dish, and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and butter.

Pour liquid mixture into the dry mixture, and stir until thoroughly combined. Evenly spread batter into the prepared pan.

Scatter 1 cup of the blackberries over the top of the batter, and press gently until mostly submerged. Scatter the remaining berries on top, and lightly sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown around edges and springy to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.

Printer-friendly 
Source: Everyday with Rachael Ray Magazine via Shutterbean

11 comments:

  1. okay, i'm totally with you. i love that damn carly rae song AND i just watched the bachelorette, too. i haven't tried the Lime-a-rita yet, but i am guilty of enjoying a Mike's Hard Lemonade every now + then. by the way, this cornbread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I know. That song is totally silly, but I love it so much, it makes my heart feel all fluffy.

    Which is kind of ridiculous as it has no hair on it! ... I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It does have a fluffy feel to it!

      Delete
  3. Love cornbread and going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As bad as it is, I love Call Me Maybe. It's a truly catchy song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cornbread looks pretty more-ish and delish. Anything with buttermilk is yum. Embrace the song! So good to sing along to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this song...it is on repeat on Australian radio and I am getting concerned it may never leave my head!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. Thanks, now I am addicted to that silly song. My daughter was already. Yikes. Love the recipe. Come and visit on Friday. We have a great flip flop giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that song on constant repeat in the car! The video cracked me up b/c I have a lawn boy! But he's like 13 and very gangly, nothing to swoon at the window over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I love this blog!
    I've actually never seen this video before, but I will confess to liking the song...the video is hilariously bad.
    I really like the idea of adding fruit to cornbread, I've never had it that way. It sounds so good, though! I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came across your blog from the Recipe Girl. I'm going to have to make Lori's blueberry cornbread and YOUR blackberry cornbread. 2 of my faves. Love your blog. Fun, Fun, Fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio