Thursday, July 5, 2012

Banana Buttermilk Muffins

Banana Buttermilk Muffins

Guess who has electricity again?! This moi.

I've already made 3 new recipes since the power came back. I was extremely glad that it was back in time for the 4th of July. A friend of mine has a view of the Washington monument from his balcony, and had people over yesterday to watch the fireworks. Since I don't like showing up to a party empty-handed, I brought Audra's lemon-blueberry cupcakes, and a jalapeno popper dip that I will share here once I tweak the recipe a bit (it was good, but way too mild for my tastes.)

The 3rd recipe that I made was this banana muffin recipe. I had half a carton of buttermilk leftover from making the cupcakes, and 3 blackened bananas sitting on the counter. These quick muffins are delicious, perfect for using up leftovers, and make an excellent breakfast or snack (especially when they're slathered with peanut butter.) I don't know the nutrition info for these, but they are butter free, and only contain 2 tablespoons of oil, so I have a feeling that they're not that terrible for you. They're definitely not a cupcake masquerading as a muffin like so many muffins tend to be. 

Here's what you'll need:

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup well-mashed ripe banana (about 2 1/2 bananas)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.

In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mashed banana, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir together with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not over mix.

Using a level 1/3 cup measurement, add batter to the prepared muffin tin. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes (mine took 17 minutes), or until a toothpick comes out with crumbs attached, and the tops are light golden brown. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Makes 13 muffins.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Williams-Sonoma

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I can't wait for the jalapeño popper dip. I like mine spicy, too! Glad your power is back. We didn't lose it at all until today - I've heard that the power companies sometimes have to turn off some electricity to fix other problems. Is it me, or does it seem to be taking a really long time for them to fix the outages this time around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super excited to have power back again too... I celebrated by making a new recipe too!! These sound yummy :) Might have to try it with the rest of my bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your power is back! These sound like the perfect way to use up that extra buttermilk that always seems to be lurking in the fridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bananas and buttermilk... what more could you want in a muffin? I'll have to make these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bananas. And Muffins. I love banana muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, these look oh-so-delicious! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio