Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sesame Soba Noodle Salad

Sesame Soba Noodles

Something momentous happened yesterday.

I became the first food blogger ever* to nearly mess up boiling noodles.

I whipped up this awesome sesame noodle salad for dinner last night, and after I finished boiling the edamame, I looked at the medium-sized saucepan and thought to myself, "That entire package of noodles will totally fit. Spatial relations skills and common sense are for losers," as I stuffed the noodles into the undersized pot.

I'm sure you can see where this is going. I turned my back for about 20 seconds after putting the noodles in, and boiling water was spewing everywhere. Not just a little overflow - I'm talking a full on boiling tidal wave. Most normal people would've taken the pot off, drained some water, and moved on. Not this braniac. I wielded a ladle in one hand, and a slotted spoon in the other, and scooped out water ladleful by ladleful, hurling the excess water into the sink as I went, while simultaneously stirring the noodles.

Please consider this a cautionary tale. Use a large pot when cooking soba noodles.

Do as I say, not as I do. Because I do dumb things.

(*at least I hope...)


Here's what you'll need:

For the salad:

1 red pepper, diced
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup finely minced cilantro
1 1/2 cup frozen edamame, cooked according to package directions and cooled for a few minutes
1 8.8-ounce package of soba noodles
Sesame seeds, for garnish

For the dressing:

3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon tahini
2 teaspoons honey
Salt, to taste

Bring a large pot of water to boil.

In a large bowl, combine the red pepper, green onions, cilantro, and cooked edamame.

When the water is boiling, add the soba noodles, and cook until they're done. These cook much more quickly than traditional pasta, so make a note of the cooking time indicated on the package, and start checking for doneness about a minute before time is up.

While the noodles are cooking, whisk all of the ingredients together for your salad dressing.

When the noodles are done, drain in a colander and immediately rinse with cold water. Add the noodles to your bowl with the vegetables and toss with the dressing. Check to see if you need more salt, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and enjoy!

Source: Daily Garnish (If you're not already a reader of Emily's site, do yourself a favor and check it out. She pretty much has the cutest baby ever. And she went to culinary school, so I'm doubly jealous!)
Printer-friendly

19 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!! I love me some soba noodles :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time cooking them, and I'm in love now too! Such a great texture for cold noodle salads.

      Delete
  2. Haha I would've totally done the same thing! Glad to know you didn't get burned or anything from the boiling water tidal wave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is almost on par with hot bacon grease in a solo cup. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha i've definitely done that! busted :)

      Delete
    2. Who knew those suckers instantaneously melt when filled with hot grease? It could've happened to anyone...

      Delete
  4. Hee, had to visit when I saw your blog's name. And don't worry, you are not the first food blogger to mess up boiling noodles. I messed up a few times myself. Glad you saved it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had soba noodles and I want to try this! P.s. You may not be the only food blogger to screw u boiling noodles...I'm notorious for stuff like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maggie,
    What a wonderful pics of sesame soba noodle salad you have here.
    Based on your delicious sesame soba noodle salad photos, we'd like to invite you to submit your food photos on a Food Photography site so our readers can enjoy your creations.
    It is absolutely free and fun to make others hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good thing you mentioned because if I'll be doing this by myself, I probably be using the same size pot as you did. We live and learn ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, well you are not the first food blogger to mess up boiling noodles - I did the exact same thing with spaghetti when I first started cooking for myself, only instead of boiling over, my noodles fell out of the pot and caught fire. Needless to say I use a much bigger pot now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious! I love soba noodle stir fry dishes! Hahah and yes I too just use a ladle to scoop water out of the pot when it overflows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the ladle trick worked, but next time I think I'll just use a bigger pot :)

      Delete
  10. I did that one time when I was making bagels - it said to boil the water, then add baking soda and drop in your bagels - I had a baking soda/water explosion and it took me nearly 30 minutes to clean up my stove. :(

    Your dish looks amaze balls by the way. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man...at least I'm not the only person who makes a mess in the kitchen!

      Delete
  11. Wow does this look yummy! I know it tastes delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was delicious...I wish I had more in my kitchen right now!

      Delete
  12. WOW this looks fab for sure! Thank you for sharing soooo many great recipes :) so happy I found you!

    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio