Friday, August 10, 2012

Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Tacos


Once upon a time, I was repulsed at the idea of seafood in a taco. I had the ridiculous notion that tacos should be filled with one of two things: beef or chicken. Fortunately, I came to my senses several years ago, partially thanks to one of my favorite restaurants in DC, Ceiba.

Ceiba has this amazing happy hour menu with stuff like shrimp and crab nachos, ceviche, queso fundido, and pig-shaped molcajetes full of guacamole. Oh, and sangria. I can't forget the sangria. They also have the seafood tacos that officially sealed my conversion from a person who was wary of the concept, to a person who was in love with it. I haven't been there in quite some time since they are located across from the 10th Circle of Hell my old office, and I like to stay safely in my beautiful current building a full mile away.

P.S. Ceiba, if you're reading this, there's a crappy Au Bon Pain kitty-corner from my office. Please commandeer it, throw their nasty food away, and open another Ceiba location. You make DC a tastier place.

By the way, if Ceiba knows me, it's only as "often tipsy girl who frequently forgets to close her bar tab" so no, they did not make me write about my adoration for their food.

Anyway, back to seafood tacos. These don't really resemble Ceiba's tacos in any way, except for the fact that they both contain seafood, and they're both delicious. These have a good kick to them, and even this spice fiend had to take a swig of milk to cool my mouth. I try not to say this too often, because when I say it I want you guys to know I mean it: this is one of my favorite recipes on the blog. Out of 200+ recipes, this is top 10 material. Serve this with some tortilla chips and tomatillo salsa (which I'm aware looks like pickle relish in the photo), and you have a stupendously scrumptious meal for two.

Here's what you'll need:

For the Shrimp:

2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Salt and pepper
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, tails removed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil

For the Chipotle-Lime Drizzle:

1 cup fat-free greek yogurt
2 chipotle peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo
3 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
1 teaspoon lime juice

For the Fixin's:

1 ripe avocado, chopped
Purple cabbage, shredded (Tip: get it from the grocery store salad bar! Super easy.)
1 Jalapeno, sliced (remove the seeds if you like your food less spicy)
4 Small Flour tortillas, warmed

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and chipotle powder with a fork. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, and set aside.

Rinse and dry shrimp. Place in a large bowl, and toss with the flour mixture until all of the shrimp is thoroughly coated. You might have a bit of flour mixture left over, which is a-okay.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the oil. Cook the shrimp for 3-4 minutes, until cooked through and opaque.

While your shrimp are cooking, place the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and lime juice in the bowl of a mini-food processor. Puree until smooth, and fold mixture into the greek yogurt. Season to taste with salt.

As soon as your shrimp are done, remove from the heat and assemble your tacos. Serve immediately with chips and salsa!

Source: A Bitchin' Kitchen original
Printer-friendly

18 comments:

  1. I had the same notion about tacos but I have been dying to try them. I almost made some tonight for dinner but got a little lazy. But I will one day. Great post!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise, one taste and you'll never want a traditional taco again :)

      Delete
  2. I've been living in the DC metro area for a couple of years now and haven't tried Ceiba! It's at the top of my list now. These look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to Ceiba but your tacos look pretty bitchin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually never had "seafood" tacos. sad sad sad! These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Seafood tacos.. these looks beyond delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love it when restaurants inspire dishes at home! The crispy shrimp look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mm, I love shrimp tacos! these ones look great Maggie, and I'm glad you've embraced seafood + tacos :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These tacos look wonderful! I made a similar version once - will have to dry this with the crispy shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made these tonight. Fantastic! Even my picky stepson admitted (albeit quietly) that they were good. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were super yummy! Even my stepson who is a very picky eater admitted (albeit quietly) that he like it. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them! They're one of my favorites :)

      Delete
  11. These were so awesome.... we loved......will make a lot, and seriously super quick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These tacos look so good. Can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio