Thursday, August 2, 2012

Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies

red velvet cheesecake brownies

Hi friends. Sorry I disappeared on you. Truth be told, I've had a really crappy two and half weeks, and when I'm "in my dark place" (see the 4:25 mark in the video) as Annie and I like to say, it just feels really phony to post here about brownies and cookies while acting like all is right in the world.

However, I made these amazingly delicious red velvet cheesecake brownies 3 weeks ago tomorrow, and holding out on you for much longer due to my less than stellar mood just didn't feel right. These take all of 15 minutes to mix up, and allow you to get your cheesecake fix and your brownie fix in one dessert. I made these to bring to a get together at a friend's house, and actually had to make a second batch because I scarfed down a few too many from batch number one. I'm completely powerless around cheesecake. Make these this weekend for your friends, and be sure to act humble when the compliments pour in.

Update (12/27/12): I've been told by a couple people who have made these that they've needed to bake them for up to 50 minutes. I've baked these twice in my oven using the time range posted below, but be advised that they may require additional baking time! My oven might be too hot. 

For the red velvet batter:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons red food coloring
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup all-purpose flour

For the cheesecake swirl: 

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch, metal baking pan with aluminum foil, overlapping to create an overhand on all four sides. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a microwave-safe container, combine chocolate and butter. Melt for 1 minute in the microwave, stirring halfway through, until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, red food coloring, and salt. Add in the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Gently stir in the flour until no streaks remain.

Pour the batter into the baking pan, and prepare the cheesecake swirl.

Using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until creamy and combined. Drop dollops of the mixture over the red velvet batter, and gently swirl with a butter knife.

Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until golden around the edges, and just barely jiggly in the middle.

You're supposed to let these cool before cutting them, but I tried one warm because I'm rebellious like that. You should probably refrigerate these if you plan on keeping them around for awhile, due to the cheesecake swirl.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Baking Bites

28 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look divine! Can't wait to try these out for myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! Just wanted to tell you I LOVE the name of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you came here to tell me you love it and not to accuse me of stealing it from that chick on the cooking channel! I was first dammit! Thanks Sean!

      Delete
  4. Hope that you feel better soon. Sometimes we all need little time to just be! This recipe looks so terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you have been in a crappy place. Crappy places suck!
    The brownies look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! Hope things have gotten better for you, friend. I've totally been there, by the way - it's hard to blog + act cheery when all you want to do is punch the universe. Hoping life has turned peachier for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. red velvet and cream cheese are such a great match! I bet these are amazing...plus they are pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg yum :) these remind me of the cheesecake factory's red velvet cheesecake! i'm sure these are just as to-die-for :) hope you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly hope that the butter/Chocolate part gets added to the red velvet part. Didnt know for sure, not noted above in the instructions. First time ever making red velvet. Looks great! Cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Charlotte - thanks for catching that. Just add the chocolate and butter mixture to the other wet ingredients before adding the flour. I'll update the recipe in the morning when I'm on an actual computer and not my iPad. Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
    2. Just so you know, this is not updated on the printer friendly version.

      Delete
    3. Just so you know, this is not updated on the printer friendly version.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the heads up Natalie - it's been fixed.

      Delete
  10. Hi! I made the recipe and it came out delish, but the brownies were so ooey gooey when I cut them, they wouldn't keep their shape so I can't use them for my event this weekend. Where did I go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christina -

      Sorry that these did not work out for you. It sounds as though they may have been under-baked. I'd try adding a few minutes to the baking time - make sure they're barely jiggly when you remove them from the oven. I ate one of these warm, but it would probably also help if you chill them very well before cutting.

      I've successfully made these twice with the amount of time posted, but it's always possible that my oven runs hot, or yours runs cool. I hope you give them another try!

      Have a great weekend :)

      Maggie

      Delete
  11. I made these tonight to ship off to my boyfriend as we're apart for Valentine's day. They were really easy to make! I purchased these silicone heart baking molds and put the batter in those. So they're in the shape of hearts, no cutting necessary! Thank you for this recipe. I hope he likes them as much I I do. They're super cute. :) Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these tonight to ship off to my boyfriend as we're apart for Valentine's day. They were really easy to make! I purchased these silicone heart baking molds and put the batter in those. So they're in the shape of hearts, no cutting necessary! Thank you for this recipe. I hope he likes them as much I I do. They're super cute. :) Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made these tonight to ship off to my boyfriend as we're apart for Valentine's day. They were really easy to make! I purchased these silicone heart baking molds and put the batter in those. So they're in the shape of hearts, no cutting necessary! Thank you for this recipe. I hope he likes them as much I I do. They're super cute. :) Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bridgett Laurelle BeckFebruary 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

    These look absolutely amazing! I can't wait to make them for my softball team! I need to make about 25 squares..? So, how many does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridgett - it makes an 8x8 pan, so you can cut it into as many squares as you want. Usually when I do cheesecake bars in that sized pan, I cut them into 16 pieces (since cheesecake is so rich). I'd double the recipe and make it in 2 8x8 pans. Hope your team enjoys them! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio