Monday, August 20, 2012

Roasted Cherry Tomato and Garlic Pasta

Roasted Cherry Tomato and Garlic Pasta

I have been wanting to join a CSA forever-ever, but have been extremely hesitant to commit to one. They're a lot of money, a lot of food, and there's only one of me. However, every time I go to the grocery store I get peeved when I attempt to purchase an in-season piece of fruit and see that it's been flown in from halfway across the country, or even worse, from another country all together. I live in Virginia, and there are plenty of fruits and vegetables that can be grown a reasonable distance from here.

Needless to say, I was super excited when I discovered Washington's Green Grocer. They're a local produce delivery service that allows you to sign-up for on-demand boxes of local fruits and veggies - meaning, I don't need to pay for a whole season ahead of time. Helloooo, perfect solution for this CSA commitment-phobe!

I got my first box on Friday. This photo that I snapped doesn't even begin to show the quantity of goodies they sent me. There are zucchinis, more potatoes, and a bunch of nectarines and plums hiding under that bunch of lettuce! The only thing in the box from far away were the bananas. Now, I'm no botanist, but I'm pretty sure that bananas don't grown in Virginia. South American bananas are totally fine with me!

washingtons green grocer box

I decided to make a pasta dish with the cherry tomatoes they sent me, and whipped up this easy and healthy dish.

I think that Washington Green Grocer delivers to DC, Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware. I know that the majority of you guys don't live in those states, but hopefully you can find something similar. This was my first box from them so it might be premature to give them a glowing review, but so far I'm quite impressed! Now to come up with a recipe for the giant bag of green beans...

Here's what you'll need for a meal for one:

1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
4-5 large garlic cloves, halved
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cup cooked pasta
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small baking dish, combine tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and salt. Roast uncovered in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring once halfway through. When the tomatoes are done, remove the halved garlic cloves and roughly chop them. Add back into the tomato mixture, and serve over pasta with Parmesan cheese.

Printer-friendly

8 comments:

  1. I love being a part of a CSA. They give me produce that I wouldn't think to buy in the store, which has really broadened my culinary horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for the link to WGG, I had never heard of them! Running to sign up, I can't wait for my first box!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love WGG! I've used them for over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE pasta dishes like this - so perfect! I'm a CSA commitment-phobe too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely pasta..I need to get on board wit a CSA too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also get the WGG box!! I'm new to the service but I absolutely LOVE it! This recipe looks yummy! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of WGG. What a great idea! That pasta dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio