Monday, August 27, 2012

Spiced Applesauce Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

spiced applesauce cake with cream cheese frosting

This is not the recipe you are supposed to be seeing right now. You are supposed to be seeing a delicious sesame-ginger salmon recipe, however while I was cooking it under the broiler, it burst into flames, and 5 firemen had to remove it from the oven while I hyperventilated. Yup, that happened. I shouldn't be allowed to have a cooking blog. I should also invest in a fire extinguisher.

It smelled really good until it caught on fire, so I will definitely be tackling the recipe again sometime soon. I will not be cooking it under the broiler though...when you guys see the recipe, it will have instructions for baking it.

I planned to save this recipe until the official first day of fall, however due to The Great Salmon Fire of 2012, you're getting it now!

I'm so excited about this recipe. It is incredibly simple to throw together, full of fall spices, and super moist. I've had it on my to-make list for almost 3 years, and someone should give me a good slap for taking this long to try it.

Please don't make the same mistake that I did, and wait years to make this. Put it on your fall baking list! Fall is almost here you guys! 26 more days! Woohooooo! So many exclamation points!!!

spiced applesauce cake with cream cheese frosting

For the cake:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce

For the frosting:

5 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Finely chopped walnuts, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and set oven rack in the middle.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the applesauce. Lastly, beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until just combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.

Grease an 8 or 9 inch square metal cake pan with butter. Evenly pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown, and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen, and invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Sift the confectioners sugar and cinnamon over the cream cheese mixture, and beat to thoroughly combine. Frost cooled cake, sprinkle with walnuts, and enjoy!

This cake is best the same day you make it. If you don't want to eat a whole cake yourself in one day, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let it sit on the counter for an hour before serving to take the chill off. 

Printer-friendly
Adapted from Gourmet

14 comments:

  1. I love this!! But then again, anything with cream cheese frosting is a winner in my book. Sorry to hear about the salmon snafu. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for better results!

      Delete
  2. While I love this recipe and it looks amazing, the great salmon fire ruined my fave dish! Sounds completely horrifying though, but looking back on it I'm sure you've got some giggles in. Looking forward to the non-charred salmon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes...it's definitely funny after the fact, not quite so much when there were flames filling the oven :)

      Delete
  3. Oh geeze - scary story!!! Glad you're ok! This cake looks perfect for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! It really is - I have a feeling I will be repeating it quite frequently this fall!

      Delete
  4. That's OK, I'd much rather have cake than salmon ANY DAY! My mom used to make an apple sauce cake from our Betty Crocker cook book but she never put frosting on it...bring on the frosting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - everyone knows frosting is the best part!

      Delete
  5. OMG! Girllll.. Glad you are OK! I can't broil much either, I've had food nearly catch on fire. But more importantly, did you meet any cute firemen?

    The cake looks wonderful and gorgeous pics with the flowered cloth underneath. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAH. I was trying to hide from the firemen, because I looked like such a mess when this happened. No makeup, un-styled hair. Not cute.

      The cloth is actually a big napkin I found at Steinmart! They have a really good selection of napkins, cute dishes, etc. that can be used for food blogging props!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, the Great Salmon Fire sounds scary! Hope that never happens again. This does look amazing, though, so thanks for sharing it. Hope to see the salmon, too - sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great recipes here... will have to follow you and with a name like this blog who could resist it draws you in.. have seen yours through searches... nice job! Good luck with this amazing blog love it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio