Friday, September 28, 2012

Chicken Tender Melt


Other than babysitting, my first job ever was working at Perkins as a hostess when I was 15. In case you live in an area of the country or world that does not have Perkins, they're most known for their pancakes, the sassy old ladies working as waitresses, and in the case of the location that I worked at, their mouse infestation behind the hostess stand.

Mice issues notwithstanding, my 15-year old metabolism and I really enjoyed the free food I got during my shift. My lunch of choice was usually a menu item known as the "chicken tender melt," which I probably ate roughly three times a week for an entire summer. I randomly remembered this sandwich recently, and decided to recreate it at home. Needless to say, it was even more delicious than the restaurant version (probably because I fried it in butter.) It's been many years since my Perkins days, but I seem to remember the restaurant serving this sandwich with honey mustard dressing. I served it with ranch instead, but either one would be scrumptious.

This is a somewhat time consuming sandwich to make, since I strongly recommend that you make your own homemade chicken tenders for it. I promise when you take a bite you'll agree it was worth it!

Here's what you'll need:

Salted butter
2 slices sourdough bread
3 slices Pepper-jack cheese
3 slices bacon
3 slices tomato
2 homemade chicken tenders
Ranch dressing or Honey Mustard, for dipping

Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Assemble your sandwich by layering 1 1/2 slice of cheese, tomatoes, bacon, chicken tenders, and the remaining 1 1/2 slice of cheese on the non-buttered side. In a small frying man over medium heat, cook the sandwich on both sides until the bread is brown, and the cheese is melted.

Printer-friendly
Source: Inspired by the Perkins menu 

19 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious! I could go for one right now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Chicken Tender Melts! This is making me SO hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you know what they are! I don't even know if Perkins has them on their menu anymore.

      Delete
  3. You must be from the midwest. I haven't seen a Perkins since I moved to the East Coast... =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live right by a Perkins! This sandwich looks fabulous :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't begin to tell you how in LOVE I am with that sandwich picture! You nailed it girl. Being a hostess at a restaurant when I was younger, was one of my favorite jobs! And I sure miss being able to eat endless burgers and fries without gaining an ounce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this! Made for a delish lunch for my husband today!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOD PERKINS. I love Perkins. My best friend lives in the south and has never heard of them. I think there's seriously something wrong with that situation.

    This reminds me of when I worked at Fridays and we had the Chicken finger BLT. They use chiabata bread instead of sour dough, but still just as delicious. I will have to partake.

    Now I need me a bread bowl salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I totally applied for a job at Fridays and got rejected for not having enough experience. Seriously. That Chicken finger BLT sounds pretty delicious too!

      Delete
  8. Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year: 2013

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to try this, soon. Thanks for sharing. May you have a favorable and welcoming 2013 NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having moved from Minneapolis to TX, we LONG for a Perkins down here! Pancakes are out of this world as well! When we go "home", we ALWAYS eat at every Perkins we can find! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio