Monday, September 24, 2012

Peanut Butter Chicken

peanut butter chicken

Sometimes my brain feels blocked. I have been sitting at my laptop, staring at a blank screen for longer than I care to admit, wracking racking my brain trying to think of an interesting anecdote, or words of wisdom to share. I've got nothing. I did read up on the difference between wracking and racking. So there's that.

I was up in New Jersey all weekend visiting my sister and mom, and had a relaxing few days filled with lots of wine, pumpkin ice cream, good bagels, and great burritos. I intentionally confused a young man at the wine store when I asked him what wine he recommended to accompany hot dogs. I should cut the sarcasm and be nicer to easily flustered wine store clerks. I also bought a deep dish pie plate, and am extremely psyched to make a pie and share it here. Such an exciting life I lead, right?

Let's just move on and talk about this chicken before I bore you to tears. I'm a big fan of peanut butter in savory dishes. I know the ingredients below might seem a little odd (I totally get that combining peanut butter and salsa sounds slightly cray-cray) but they totally work. Best of all, I bet you have at least half of the ingredients on hand already. I am the worst at maintaining a pantry full of staples, and even I only needed to pick up chicken, peanuts, and orange juice to make this amazing dinner happen.

P.S. If this recipe strikes your fancy, you might also like these Thai Peanut Butter Noodles

Here's what you'll need:

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup medium salsa
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
2 large chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into 4 or 5 strips each
2 tablespoons olive oil
Peanuts and green onions, for garnish
Cooked rice, for serving

In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, salsa, soy sauce, honey, orange juice, ginger, and curry powder. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken to the oil, and brown on both sides, but don't cook through. Turn the heat to low, and pour in the sauce. Cover the pan, and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and reduced, and the chicken is cooked through. 

Serve over rice, sprinkled with peanuts and green onions.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Kristina Kuzmic

9 comments:

  1. I hate when I get writer's block!! If it's any help, your writing about writing block was amusing! lol This chicken recipe looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks...clearly I was grasping at straws here. I think I need to wander around outside today and hope something interesting happens :)

      Delete
  2. Mmm such a fabulous way to kick up chicken! Peanut butter makes everything better :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely get some good doses of brain blockage as well...happens to the best of us. When I feel like that, it means I need a little cleansing time...time to decompress and renew my energy ;) I'm a big peanut butter person and love cooking ethnic food with peanut sauce, so this chicken looks absolutely fabulous to me! Lots of healthy protein and awesome flavor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK if I could rate this I'd give it 4 thumbs up!!! Sounded gross but once I got it together and ate it it was FABulous! I however added sauteed mushrooms and onions and served it over spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete

  5. I want to try this without the curry, bc I hate curry lol. also, can i use dark meat chicken? maybe cut it oof the bone and do the same recipe? I don't get the salsa ingredient...why? to make it have a tomato base? as long as its not at all spicy, I am game to try...

    ReplyDelete

  6. I want to try this, but without the curry (hate curry). also, do you think dark meat (cut into pieces) would work? also, why salsa? I am game as long as its not spicy. is it for the tomato base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - it's definitely not spicy. A lot of Indian recipes, for example, Chicken Tikka Masala contain tomato in some capacity. While this is certainly a very Americanized take on Indian food, that's why tomato is included. It's not a super tomato-ey recipe.

      I would really encourage you to not eliminate the curry. Spices are what makes gives this recipe depth of flavor and makes it delicious! It will most likely be bland if you omit it. Dark meat will work - you may need to add a couple minutes to ensure it's cooked through.

      Thanks for stopping by, and happy cooking! :)

      - Maggie

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio