Monday, September 17, 2012

Pumpkin Toffee Chip and Rolo Chunk Cookies


I have some serious anxiety about sharing these cookies with you guys.

You see, I don't make a lot of stuff with cake mixes, and these cookies contain one. Personally, I just think that baking things from scratch is way more fun than dumping a mix into a bowl, and usually tastes a heck of a lot better. You certainly won't ever catch me refusing a gooey brownie or slice of chocolate cake that's made from a mix, but my favorite chocolate cake recipe is 10 times better, and not much more difficult.

Usually, nothing makes me lose my baking mojo faster than the phrase "semi-homemade," and I think that a certain television chef who considers a store-bought angel food cake sprinkled with Corn Nuts to be a legitimate recipe has no business teaching anyone how to bake. That being said, I'm not a paid Food Network "chef", and I won't call this a recipe. This is just me telling you how to dump 5 items into a bowl, and produce a very tasty fall treat in 20 minutes.

So tasty in fact, that I ate 3 straight from the oven and burned my mouth. I then decided to get over myself, quit being a snob, and share this delicious non-recipe with all of you.

Fellow food bloggers, please don't shun me.

Here's what you'll need for a large batch of cake-like, candy-studded cookies:

1 box yellow cake mix
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin
1 cup mini-chocolate chips
1 cup chocolate-covered Heath Bar chunks (these are in a bag in the baking aisle)
1 1/2 cups Rolos, quartered (about 35 Rolos)

Stick the Rolo chunks in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the cake mix and pumpkin. Add in the chocolate chips, Heath bar chunks, and Rolos. Using a cookie scoop, place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 15-17 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Keep the bowl of dough in the fridge in between batches for best results.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Picky Palate

17 comments:

  1. i find myself feeling the same way about mixes and shortcuts but then i tell myself that the world will keep turning...and the world will also have something delicious to eat! nobody else usually cares except me haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bianca! Yeah, hopefully I'm the only person who stresses about it, and everyone else is just happy they get cookies!

      Delete
  2. I love the pumpkin and chocolate combination - how perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cakemix has its place in the baking world! These sound perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing combination. Rollos make everything better!! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so know what you mean about semi-homemade, but sometimes it's fun. And these look fabulous! I love the orange color :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look good to me! I love anything pumpkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Maggie! You probably don't remember me, but I'm married to Rick and I was the AFD's technical editor until a couple months ago. Anyway, Natalie told me you started a cooking blog so I checked it out and I love it! I also made these cookies today, and already know it won't be the last time I make them. :) I couldn't find the chocolate-covered toffee chunks (although I've seen those before) and the store I was at today didn't have mini-chocolate chips, so I just used Heath's toffee brickle bits and regular chocolate chips, and the cookies are completely addictive! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mylinda, of course I remember you! You sent Rick in to work with some delicious breads and coffee cakes when I was there that I was always more than happy to sample :) Glad you liked the cookies! Hope you, Rick, and the kids are all doing well!

      Delete
  8. do you follow the cix mix according to the box?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe! I made them to bring in to work today and they've been a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more about that semi-homemade show! That woman drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't agree more about that semi-homemade show! That woman drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio