Thursday, October 25, 2012

Brown Butter + Sea Salt + Rolo + Toffee Chunk Chocolate Chip Cookies

Brown Butter + Sea Salt + Rolo + Toffee Chunk Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hellooooo, longest recipe name ever.

I made these cookies for three reasons:

1) I was bored and couldn't find anymore cat videos to watch on the YouTubes.*

2) I had leftover candy and mini-chips left from making these that I wanted to use up in an actual recipe, rather than just eating them by the handful.

3) I decided that I wasn't that hungry for dinner and would rather just let a massive 437 calorie cookie take its place. Balanced, right?


I knew I wanted to stuff the leftover candy into a chocolate chip cookie, and decided to try out a new base recipe. I turned to Monique's Brown Butter & Sea Salt cookies. Pardon my French, but holy crap. I think I yelled worse expletives (out of delight, not anger!) than that when I first bit into one of these. These are truly the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. Alton Brown's "The Chewy" has been my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe for years, but the next time I make traditional chocolate chip cookies I'll be using this recipe at my base. If you like your chocolate chip cookies with chewy edges and soft middles, you'll love these.

While I made these cookies in an effort to use up random ingredients, don't let that deter you from actually purchasing these ingredients specifically for this recipe. I've stuffed candy into chocolate chip cookies more times than I can count, but this has probably been my favorite combo yet. You get the delicious sweet and salty flavor from the Heath chunks and the sea salt sprinkle, and chewy chocolatey-caramel chunks in each cookie.

*Lies!

Here's what you'll need for 13 large cookies:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt (I used 2% because I had it on hand, but any fat level should work)
15 Rolos, frozen for at least 1 hour and chopped into quarters
1/2 cup chocolate covered Heath bar chunks (these are sold in a bag in the baking aisle, but if you can't find them, feel free just to chop up a few candy bars)
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.

Next, brown your butter. If you've never browned butter before, allow me to direct you to this post, since Jessica took photos of the process and explains it more eloquently than I probably would.

Set your browned butter aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.

In a large bowl, beat together the browned butter and sugars until well combined. Beat in the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and Greek yogurt. Gradually add in the flour mixture, beating on low speed until just combined. Fold in the Rolos, toffee chunks, and chocolate chips.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for 2 hours.

When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a large cookie scoop (mine held about 1/4 cup,) drop balls of dough on the cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between each. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. Bake for 10-11 minutes, until the edges are golden and the tops are still moist. They will continue to bake on the baking sheet, so don't be afraid to take them out when they look under-baked. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen

13 comments:

  1. I just made these... they were delicious!!!! I'm going to post a blog about them and link back here to yours.

    Thanks for the recipe! :)

    http://womaninamansworl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. a chocolate chip cookie is always a good idea, in my book, and adding browned butter--even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked chopped rolos into cookies a few months ago + holy moly, they were sooo good. these look even more delicious, with the brown butter + sea salt - YUM! and totally an acceptable substitute for a real dinner, by the way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could you do this to me??!! This sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies look delicious! I cannot wait to bake a batch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, these look dangerous! Love the idea of adding both Rolos and toffee bits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies look crazy good, Maggie! Amazing and addictive, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these could be my dream cookies...caramel and toffee? Sign me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! That is one awesome looking cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cookies look awesome...and yes having cookies for dinner once in a while is totally legit! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies look awesome...and yes having cookies for dinner once in a while is totally legit! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio