Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

A Bitchin' Kitchen: Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

Is anyone else bored of logging on to Facebook and being bombarded by a million people spewing their political opinions? Ever since the debates last night, I've been avoiding Facebook like the plague. As some of you know, I live in Northern Virginia, right outside of Washington, DC. I don't know if people argue about politics this much in other areas of the country, but here it's constant personal attacks, "fact" regurgitating, and mudslinging.

Obviously, I have opinions. I'm not going to talk about them here because a) no one cares, and b) I don't want the 50% of you who disagree with me to hate me, or think that voting the way I do is equivalent to some kind of character flaw. I sometimes wonder if the people who post inflammatory statuses honestly think that they will change the mind of the opposing side. Facebook has been around for 8 of my 10 legal voting years, and so far I haven't been swayed to change my political affiliation by what some wannabe pundit posts as their status. I respect people's right to share whatever they want on Facebook, but that doesn't mean I won't be annoyed by it. I think certain topics are just best kept private.

I go on Facebook for the following reasons:

1) Cat videos
2) Pictures of babies
3) Stories about drunken shenanigans
4) To find out where happy hour is taking place
5) To stalk people from high school and judge their choices in life

I do not go on Facebook:

1) To be told that I'm immoral or stupid for supporting a particular candidate.

I'm probably just as bad as the people I'm complaining about for even posting this rant. Can we talk about pancakes now? That's something we can all agree on, right? I hope so, because these are freakin' delicious. When I took my first bite of these, it was like biting into the warmest, moistest, slice of pumpkin bread ever. With most pumpkin-flavored foods, you tend to taste the fall spices more than the actual pumpkin. With these, you have a bold pumpkin flavor, plus an additional kick of flavor from the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. I served these with just maple syrup, but I think they'd also be delicious with a cinnamon spiked whipped cream!

What you'll need:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
Additional butter or canola oil for greasing the skillet

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, and place a foil-lined pie plate inside. As you cook the pancakes, place them in the pie plate to keep warm.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. In a large liquid measuring cup, stir together the milk, pumpkin, egg, and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and whisk together until just combined. Some lumps should remain - don't over-mix or your pancakes will be tough!

In a large greased skillet over medium heat, drop batter in 1/3 cup portions. Cook the first side, and when bubbles start to form on the top surface, flip them over and cook for about a minute more. Transfer to the oven and repeat with remaining batter.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart

19 comments:

  1. Bahaha, amen! I couldn't agree with you more about facebook. and these pancakes look fab! i just put pumpkin spice pancakes on my blog last week, too - great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those! Your version looked awesome too. I'm so happy it's pumpkin season :)

      Delete
  2. I agree about Facebook, and the political ads in general. I AM SO SICK OF THEM! Every other commercial is political. Ugh. I will have to make these pancakes just to get through from now to Election Day… =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must live in a swing state too...soooo many political commercials right now here in VA!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I hear ya on the FB craziness. I just can't even handle. I've only been watching DVR'd TV or Netflix so I can skip the ads. BUT, I can handle pancakes, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I think I may have to start doing that as well. Thanks Cindy!

      Delete
  4. A. I so totally agree about Facebook...and the news/commercials for that matter. I can't wait until the election is over! B. I also posted a pumpkin pancake recipe today. They're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5) To stalk people from high school and judge their choices in life
    hahahah SO TRUE!
    This recipe is exactly what I need right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm not proud...but it's fun. "She married him?! And wore that?! Gross" is basically my internal monologue while I'm scrolling through my newsfeed...

      Delete
  6. I must admit, I've never heard of pumpkin spice pancakes, but these look amazing! I can almost smell them just looking at the photo, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of them until I started blogging a few years ago, and discovered a whole group of people that were equally obsessed with pumpkin! I hope you try them! :)

      Delete
  7. I wish all the political ads would just disappear too, they are so annoying.

    I would love some of these pancakes - they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. could you cook these in a frying pan as well ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, a skillet and a frying pan are the same thing! At least in my vocabulary they are, haha. Maybe it's one of those sets of words where there are regional differences like Coke versus Pop or supper versus dinner :)

      Delete
  9. I agree, politics is no fun. These pancakes, on the other hand... :) If I may, I’d like to invite you to submit your photos to the new YumGoggle, a photo sharing site with the philosophy that if you worked hard to cook it and photograph it, we should show it off! Hope to see you there soon!
    http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just stumbled across your blog and LOVE it! Your writing is witty & hilarious, and your recipes look divine. Can't wait to try some! Adding you to my Google Reader... oh, and I have to agree with you, I'm pretty sure no one's opinion was ever changed by a political post on Facebook :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio