Monday, November 26, 2012

Chipotle Marinated Chicken

Chipotle Marinated Chicken via http://abitchinkitchen.blogspot.com/

I never really need an excuse to eat spicy food, but if I did, the horrible cold I've had for a few days that has reduced me to a mouth-breathing crybaby is a really good one. I rarely get sick, so when I do, I'm completely miserable. When cold medicine fails to relieve my congestion, I turn to my favorite sinus clearing ingredients like sriracha, jalapenos, and canned chipotles in adobo.

Fortunately, my cold coincided with my discovery of Chrissy Teigen's hilarious blog So Delushious. Am I living under a rock? Have you guys been reading her blog all this time? For those of you who are equally clueless, she's the gorgeous Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, who also happens to be engaged to John Legend. Oh yeah, and she's in culinary school. I basically read her blog from start to finish in a day, and noticed that she mentioned this chipotle marinade half a dozen times.  Needless to say, I dragged my sneezing, congested self to the grocery store and immediately bought all the ingredients for this delicious meal.

Chipotle Marinated Chicken via http://abitchinkitchen.blogspot.com/

I'd consider this marinade on the milder side of spicy, so if you're not a spice fiend, don't be afraid! Also, I beg you to make this with the chicken thighs as specified, and not boneless skinless chicken breasts. I know that's the go-to piece of chicken for most people, but thighs are infinitely more flavorful and juicy and soak up this marinade like it's their job. By the way, since this marinade contains vodka, you can easily freeze it without it turning into a block of ice! I'm really wishing I'd doubled the recipe below and stored half in the freezer myself!




Here's what you'll need:

2 cans chipotle peppers in adobo
6 tablespoons vodka
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
4 teaspoons light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds bone in, skin on, chicken thighs, rinsed
Chopped cilantro or chopped green onions for garnish (optional) 

Combine all ingredients except for chicken in a food processor. Pulse for 1 minute, or until smooth. Place chicken thighs in an 8" glass baking dish, and pour marinade on top. Turn chicken to coat completely. They should be almost submerged in marinade. Marinate for 12 hours.

When ready to cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove chicken thighs from marinade and transfer to a 9x13 baking dish. Pour excess marinade around the chicken thighs if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 55-65 minutes, or until they have reached a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees.

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from So Delushious

10 comments:

  1. If I could marry a dish, I would marry this one. Looks ah-mazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me too! You're gonna have to fight me to the altar :)

      Delete
  2. Chipotle peppers and brown sugar. Genius. Pure. Genius.

    But really though, this sounds delicious. I love the idea of adding vodka!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love chipotle and it always makes chicken a million times more delicious!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on a total chipotle flavor binge lately, so this neeeds to happen in my kitchen ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be my 2nd comment - the web page just started loading again in the middle of my comment - bizarre.

    Anyway, I'm so sorry that you're sick! But this dish looks awesome! I can't pass up any dish that involves chipotle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. chicken thighs are totally the way to go, I agree! this looks great Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooove chipotle anything, so this looks just wonderful to me. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! When you say 2 cans of chipotles in adobo, what size cans are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! I believe they are 7 ounce cans, although, I've never actually seen them in another size. This recipe is very forgiving, so even if the cans of chipotles aren't exactly the right size it will still be good :) Enjoy!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio