Friday, November 16, 2012

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting

One-Bowl Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting. This small batch makes 3 perfect cupcakes!

Happy blog birthday to me!!!

Tomorrow, my blog baby turns 3, and according to WebMD that means that it should be able to bend over without falling, use age-appropriate scissors, and clearly state its name and age. Oh...never mind, that's only for real live toddlers and not my silly little website. If we were talking about a toddler and not my blog, you'd all think I was a pretty terrible mother. I definitely forgot about this milestone until 6 p.m. last night when I was in the grocery store and saw these glittery number candles. I sincerely hope that when I have children someday, I remember their birthdays without glittery things reminding me.

I can't believe I've been sharing recipes and saying weird things here for 3 years. I'm one of those people who has an unfortunate tendency to abandon projects and hobbies, so I'm truly astonished that I've made it this long. For example, there was the time in the spring of 2008 when I decided I wanted to go to law school. Well, I'm $1,500 poorer after an LSAT prep course, have a stack of LSAT practice books, and no law degree to show for that undertaking. There was also the time I bought a $400 bicycle with the noble intent of riding it on the Mt. Vernon Trail every weekend. Well guess what? Beer doesn't drink itself, so that bike spends its weekends indoors and lonely.

I'm so glad I had the idea to stop spending large sums of money on things like knowledge and exercise, and start taking photos of my food. In all seriousness though, it means so much to me that people come here and make my recipes and read the goofy things I write. If I could give each one of you a hug and a cupcake as a thank you I totally would!

Let's talk about these cupcakes. What we have here is a moist, fluffy peanut butter cupcake, slathered with chocolate frosting that tastes exactly like brownie batter. Best of all? This recipe makes just three cupcakes! It's perfect for when you want something sweet, but don't necessarily need two dozen cupcakes tempting you.

And in case you're wondering...yes, I did blow out the candle.

One-Bowl Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting. This small batch makes 3 perfect cupcakes!

Here's what you'll need:

For the cupcakes:

1 egg white
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon vanilla flavored Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I don't recommend using the natural kind here)
1/4 teaspoon, heaping, baking powder
1/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tablespoons milk

For the frosting:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt
2 teaspoons dark cocoa powder (I used 1 teaspoon Hershey's Special Dark, and 1 teaspoon KAF Black Cocoa)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a cupcake tin with 3 paper liners.

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg white and sugar until thoroughly combined.

Whisk in melted butter, vanilla, yogurt, and peanut butter.

Whisk in baking powder. Gently whisk in flour until just combined. Stir in milk.

Divide the batter evenly among the 3 prepared liners - they should each be about 2/3 full. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, until the cupcake springs back when lightly pressed in the center.

Cool in the pan for 2 minutes, and the turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.

When the cupcakes are cool, make the frosting.

Beat together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, salt, cocoa powder, and melted chocolate until thoroughly combined. Add in the remaining powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, until the frosting has reached the desired consistency.

You may also like these other tiny batch recipes: Vanilla Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting for Two, Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream for Two, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cake for One

Printer-friendly
Source: Cupcake portion inspired by How Sweet's Vanilla Cupcakes for Two, and the frosting is an A Bitchin' Kitchen original

10 comments:

  1. Congrats Maggie!!! Hope your blog bday wish comes true :-)
    I love small batch dessert recipes (courtesy of my total lack of self control). These look like a lovely way to celebrate any night of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogiversary! I'm so glad you kept up with this blog because I love coming here for your awesome recipes! And I totally get on the abandoning projects thing. I thought I wanted to go to med school and spent like $2,000 on princeton review prep for the mcat and I didn't even bother taking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad I'm not the only one. I did actually end up taking the LSATs, but abandoned the law school thing shortly thereafter. I stopped liking school sometime around second grade, and knew myself well enough to know that going would ultimately be a terrible idea. I guess $1,500 wasted is better than $150,000 in tuition wasted, right? :)

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday...to your blog. That's pretty cool. Um...I love these cupcakes. Pretty much everything about them is a-ok. And that frosting? That frosting looks awesome. I'm always on the lookout for a chocolate frosting recipe that's mainly chocolate. I'll be trying that one asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I kind of went into making the frosting blindly. I made a buttercream, and threw in some cocoa powder, but it was a weird color and not chocolatey enough, so I melted some chocolate I had laying around. For something that I just threw together it turned out to be one of my favorite frostings ever!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your milestone!! Please continue sharing your recipes and saying weird things, I continue to love reading your blog!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 3 years....I hope you have many more to come!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio