Monday, November 12, 2012

Spiced Black Bean, Avocado, and Queso Fresco Tacos

Spiced Black Bean, Avocado, and Queso Fresco Tacos by A Bitchin' Kitchen

Umm...please excuse the giant bruised piece of avocado front and center in this photo. Somehow, I didn't notice it while photographing these, and by the time I uploaded the pics, the tacos were long gone and I couldn't re-photograph. Oh well. A bruised avocado is still a tasty avocado! Maybe if I got my act together and learned how to use Photoshop I could have figured out a way to turn that brown spot green, but my photo editing skills are basically limited to iPhoto. Between bruised avocados and the end of daylight saving time leaving me no light for dinnertime pics, my already limited food photography skills have taken quite a hit this past week.

After posting a cake and cookie recipe back to back, I had a feeling that some of you would perhaps be interested in some lighter fare. These tacos come together in about 15 minutes, and make a perfect quick, flavorful, and healthy weeknight dinner!

I actually hesitated to post these, because Mexican food always just screams summertime to me, and here we are just a week and a half from Thanksgiving. Then I realized that the impending food fest is even more of a reason to share a nice, light recipe before we're all stuffing our faces with mashed potatoes and pie!

Here's what you'll need:

1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
Generous pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup black beans, with liquid
1/2 avocado
Extra-virgin olive oil
Juice and zest from 1/2 lime
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
3-4 small flour or corn tortillas, warmed (My tortillas were the Mission brand small fajita sized tortillas, which are slightly larger than a typical corn tortilla. I made 3 pretty stuffed tacos, but with a corn tortilla you'd have plenty of filling for 4 tacos.)

In a medium frying pan over medium heat, combine the coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, and black beans.  Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquids have cooked out - about 5 minutes. Transfer the beans to a small bowl.

Brush avocado half with olive oil, and place flesh side down in the same pan. Let cook until slightly charred, and remove from heat. Slice and peel avocado.

In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, zest, and honey.

Divide black bean mixture and avocado slices evenly between your tortillas. Top with queso fresco, and drizzle lightly with honey-lime sauce. Serve immediately.

You may also like: Tacos de Barbacoa, Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Tacos, Black Bean + Sweet Potato Tacos with Chipotle Crema, and White Fish Tacos with Cilantro Cream Sauce

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Naturally Ella

7 comments:

  1. i just love avocado in almost everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexican food knows no season! These look outstanding, and if avocado is involved, bruise or no bruise, I'm on board.

    Personally, I think your photos are great, but UGH, I totally feel you on the food photo blues. My limited skills/equipment (i.e. iPhoto)are hurting thanks to the lack of daylight too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum!!! I'm so helpless for anything mexican inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the perfect taco "bruise" and all! I can eat Mexican food any time everyday! Come and visit us. We are having a wonderful giveaway this week - a $75 swank bag from Pick Your Plum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even notice the bruised avocado until you pointed it out. =) these tacos look just wonderful to me - if i had that plate in front of me right now, I'd devoooour them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warm, spicy black beans definitely fit into November just fine!
    Your pics are still lovely! My camera (and my mood!) feels you on the lack of daylight, though! What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio