Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cinnamon Blondies with Vanilla Buttercream

Cinnamon Blondies with Vanilla Buttercream

You know what's really awesome? I just wrote a whole blog post, and it inexplicably got deleted right as I was about to hit publish.

No, I lied. It's not awesome. It's a giant load of crap, and now I have to remember everything I wanted to tell you guys about these blondies from memory. Here are things I'm good at remembering: birthdays of everyone I knew prior to joining Facebook, lyrics to 90s pop songs, every line ever spoken in Friends, my locker combination from 5th grade (5-11-37, thankyouverymuch), and the password for all 85 email addresses and social media accounts that I attempt to keep track of.

So, basically I can remember ridiculously miniscule details from as far back as 1994, but can't remember what I wrote 30 minutes ago. My brain works in mysterious ways. I just realized that I addressed my very bad memory in my last blog post also. Maybe I need to see a neurologist, but...meh. I get by with day planners and checklists.

Cinnamon Blondies with Vanilla Buttercream

I don't even have any of these blondies left with which to console myself, since I made them 2 weeks ago and am just now getting around to sharing the recipe. I actually created this recipe with the sparse collection of ingredients I had on hand, since I didn't feel like venturing out to the grocery store for ingredients. I wasn't sure if they'd be blog-worthy, but they turned out to be shockingly delicious. 

They are generously spiced and perfectly chewy, and are topped with a layer of vanilla buttercream that takes the deliciousness to the next level. The worst thing you can do to blondies is over-bake them, so start checking these at the 20 minute mark. I think these would also be amazing with some chopped crystallized ginger mixed into the batter, or even some toasted walnuts. Someone play around with this recipe and report back!

Here's what you'll need:

For the blondies:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the buttercream:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 inch metal pan with a foil sling, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.

Sift the flour, cinnamon, and salt into a large bowl, and set aside.

Place the butter, dark brown sugar, and white sugar into a small saucepan. Cook on medium low heat, stirring frequently until the butter and sugars melt and start to bubble (do not let the mixture boil.) Set aside to cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Transfer cooled butter mixture to a medium bowl, and whisk in whole egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture, and stir until just combined, and no flour streaks remain. Transfer batter to the prepared pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden around the edges and no longer jiggly.

Place pan on a wire rack, and cool completely before removing.

To make the buttercream, place the butter in a large bowl, and beat on low speed. Gradually add the powdered sugar, and beat on medium speed until incorporated. Add the vanilla, and continue to beat on medium speed until the frosting is light and fluffy. Spread over cooled blondies and cut into 16 bars.


Printer-friendly
Source: Muh head. Not just a hat rack.

19 comments:

  1. These have me kind of excited! I love cinnamon anything and blondies are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man COMPLETELY agree re: pre-Facebook birthdays, Friends dialogue, and 90s pop songs, but have to give you credit for the 5th grade locker combination. I can't even remember the password to my work computer after a three-day weekend.

    Also, these look delicious -- love the full tablespoon of cinnamon. I bet they smell amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would you make these?? Why??? Because know I'm going to make them and end up eating all of them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great. Looks wonderful. That means I am goingto try them :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cinnamon Blondies.. Girl.. these look too good to be true...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a SUCKER for cinnamon and I love that you turned up the spice. And vanilla buttercream? Outtacontrol! I'll take 3 please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am super thankful that I haven't done that yet, but I'm sure it's coming! Love love love these bars. The world thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OHHHH girl..I have done that before...PISSED ME OFF!
    Love the bars..PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That suuuuuck about your previous post. Luckily you are still so darn charming that you still wrote an awesome post! I can remember song lyrics galore! I love that you are a fan of 90s jams too!!! It's my guilty-not-so-guilty pleasure! Can you believe I have never made a blondie.... And I am a blonde! Weird. I heard they were kind of hard to make... Maybe I made that up. Anyway I have a craving for something sweet and its raining here so that seems like a perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i flippin' LOVE cinnamon and vanilla together. and blondies are my dessert preference. I love them more than brownies! You are so cute and these blondies are even cuter. These are TOO good to be true :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I'm dying over these! me and cinnamon are like besties! And that frosting...oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GAH, i hate it when a post inexplicably disappears. Either way, these blondies look SO flippin' delicious. WAAAANT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I've so been there - miserable! But so glad you pushed through and got this recipe up. I've been on the hunt for a blondie recipe, but they haven't been turning out as dense and chewy as I want them to be - these totally look perfect! And topping them with buttercream? Ummmm, yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I have been there too... Frustrating to say the least! Huge fan of blondies here and these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a blondie junkie! I love that these have frosting too! My memory is strange like that too. I still know every word to all the popular Spice Girl songs, but sometimes I seriously cannot remember what I ate for dinner the previous night or what movie I watched. I always write my posts in Word and then copy and paste them, that way I'm covered.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These literally look like the best thing I have ever seen, so creamy on top! And I think the combination of cinnamon and vanilla would work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made these the other night. Mine came out darker than yours, a very dark brown color. They tasted better the next day. I am thinking maybe using less cinnamon if I make them again. very easy to make, and they were good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio